Which B+W polarizer should I buy?

petec

I would like to buy a good quality circular polarizing filter in 77mm size for

my L lenses like the 24-70L and 17-40mmL.

I have an EOS 20D at the moment, but will probably upgrade to a full-frame 5D

in the future.

I looked at B+W filters (having always used Hoya before), and there are

several options...e.g. Circ Polarizer SLIM, CP Kaesemann MRC, CP Kaesemann MRC

SLIM etc.

Can anyone with experience of these offer any advice?

Pete

The B+W Kaesemann filter is sealed at the edges to exclude moisture and dust. This can't hurt. The MRC coating reduces flare and sheds water droplets - also a good thing. You do not need or want a slim filter. There is no way to attach a lens cap securely (other than a floppy slip on cap) without removing the filter. Since you have a cropping factor in the 20D, you probably don't need the slim filter even on a wide angle lens.

Anything MRC. I do find this somewhat easier to clean and maintain long term than the Hoya equivalent. I've several polarisers and in testing these the B+W MRC gives the colour rendition and consistency of exposure I like best. I've never had a problem with delamination, dust or moisture ingress between the two glass elements, so for me at least the Kaesemann filters haven't been necessary- though I understand they may be more valuable in hot and humid environments.

I've had a B+W 67mm separate full circumference to half way to center, and a Leica 67mm (made by?) do the same, but less severe. If I had paid full, new price, I would have been pi$$ed. I dug them out of Central Camera in Chicago misc. (hoods/caps,filters/cables, etc.) bin for $10 each. The Leica one was mint in box. I found an IROOH hood (for 35/50) the same way, before they became collectible. It's up to you.

I usually use the MRC slim filters. Slim just for the sake of interchangeability on my 16-35 if I ever have the need. Last year, after dropping two of them over cliffs (in 2 separate incidents!) I replaced them with the Kaesemanns and have regretted it ever since. The retaining ring on the Kaesemann's keeps coming loose, and then the glass rattles around inside the filter ring. Not only that, but both Kaesemann's are very very hard to rotate. The original slim MRC's I used were extremely easy to turn, even with lens hoods on. With the Kaesemann's I have to often remove the lens hood to rotate the polarizer, then replace the hood.