Arnold Sadow - looking for biographical details, anyone know of him?

sionnac

Hey all,

The rare bookshop I work for has a collection of about 25-30 gelatin silver

prints, all about 8 x 10 or smaller, by a photographer named Arnold Sadow. I

think he lived in New York (Queens?) during the 40's - 50's; from the web we

found a few architectural history images held by the NYPL, and some hints that

he may have attended Boston Latin and graduated with the class of 35, and wrote

a book called Book Copying Machines; A Description and Evaluation. He did have a

photo published in Good Photography magazine in 1949.

The prints were bought from a relative of his in Massachusetts. Sadow lived in

Brockton, Mass. He also dealt in photography books. Does anyone know of him or

have any biographical details to share? We'd like to put together an essay about

him. His work echoes the masters, and is overall his own and really wonderful.

To see a preliminary webpage, please visit

http://www.rarebook.com/images/bkweek/Sadow/index.htm

Any news greatly appreciated! We love his work and would like to see it find a

home where it will be seen and appreciated. Some great New York images.<div>00I2mL-32379484.JPG.1e6b2a7dcd3dc74c3b7a3a56294817f3.JPG</div>

I took a look at the site you provided and am very impressed by this man's work. I'm not familiar with his name or his work (though the abstract print of the NYC skyline seems somehow familiar to me). If I come across anything on him I will be glad to pass it along to you.

He appears to have been a librarian (Business, Science & Technology Wing of the Queens Borough Public Library?), and perhaps an authority on the reproduction of documents. He delivered papers for SLA (The Special Libraries Association - which encompases Museums, historical societies, local history, archives, etc.) Conferences. It would not be the norm to do this and not be a member of SLA, so their old directories may include addresses, educational degrees, current and former employers, and recent publications. If he was a photographer for many years, and especially if he relocated much, he might have donated or sold prints to the archives or public libraries or museums near where he lived, and might also have had images printed in local newspapers.

Hi Vincent - the skyline is very much like one Berenice Abbott did (although without the repetition). Glad you like him as much as we do.

Thanks Carl - I found that he has been in a 1950 exhibit at MOMA curated by Dee Knapp ("51 American Photographers") and they have a bio file on him; I'm contacting them today. Your suggestions are very helpful.