M5 Longevity ?

leica ron

Hey guys,

Does anybody know about any long-term problems with the M5 ?

A few months ago I bought a recently CLA'd M5 (the CLA was by Sherry) and so

far no issues, except for the odd stiff wind-on.

This weekend, I heard about a spool in the M5 which costs over 300 bucks to

replace and each wind-on takes you closer to failure ...

Any ideas ?

Stiff wind on? A "Sherry CLA'ed M5" shouldn't exhibit that.

Yes, there was a redesign of the shutter spool at 134xxxx and beyond.

If the spool fails, it's a pain to replace.

You know that the battery is obsolete, and you either have the battery adjusted to the new batteries, or buy illegal batteries.

I can't think of other weaknesses.

...Vick

Talk to Sherry about the "stiff wind-on". Other than the battery issue, the only potential problem involves meter inacurracy due to aging of the CdS cell, especially if it's the original cell that came with the camera. Sherry has a reputation as being a top M5 tech so she might have replaced parts to bring everything up to date and you've got nothing to fear. I'd call her and ask since she last worked on the camera. Mechanically, the camera should last as long as film is made and then some.

I spoke with Sherry and now have my confidence back in my M5.

The problem I had heard about was on initial models (s/n 128xxxx - 129xxxx) and was related to a cracked main-roller.

As for the occasionally 'stiff' wind-on, that's more likely to do with me mis-loading the roll of film ...

You beat me to the point, I was going to say that Sherry favours the M5 and if she CLAd yours it should purr like a kitten. Her SOP with the M5 is to update with the final version of whatever parts were issued. What you should be aware of though is that unlike the M4 and M6, the M5 spool comes out like the M2/M3 and so has been known to get misplaced, and they are not (I wouldn't imagine) cheap to replace.

Don:

If you compare the winding feel of M5 to classical M, the M5 does not wind as smooth as classical M, partly because the M5 needs to trigger the meter arm during the wind. This is just part of the mechanism of M5 and you shouldn't worry too much.

I have been using a M5 with late serial number, CLAed by Sherry, for the past ten years. No problems.

Tito, there is a "knurled lifter" in the center of the M5 take-up spool that enables you to remove the spool in order to return it to the orientation shown in the loading diagram (sometimes it gets a little off). If you turn the camera upside down with the bottom plate removed, the lifter will drop down to a postion where it is eay to grasp. The only reason you would ever remove the spool is to reorient it.

>You know that the battery is obsolete, and you either have the battery >adjusted to the new batteries, or buy illegal batteries

Or you can buy the equivalent Wein cell at B&H, which is a direct replacement for the original mercury cell (v1.35).

The M5 will probably outlast the greater of (1) our natural lives and (2) the availability of film. It was the last generation of M built by the skilled elves in Wetzlar who spent 25 years or so honing their skills. (I am not being facetious.)

I use Wein cells very happily in my M5 and get very good life out of them. I gather they do less well in dry climates, but here in Massachusetts they seem to have a very reasonable service life.

In many ways, the M5 might be the best user M, or at least one of the best, but there is that funny thing - it _feels_ different than the other classic Ms, which (maybe from decades of use) still feel more natural to me than anything else. Oh well - it is a fabulous camera.

Agree emphatically with John Newell. It is the best user M.

I have two M5's, one black, one chrome.I would not consider parting with either.

The best batteries to use are clearly the 1.35volt mercury batteries.

I would hesitate to the meter recalibrated to accept legal batteries because of the MR 9 adapter and the wein cells.

The meter works best when calibrated to the original 1.35 volt.

Best,

Tony