Which film to buy for Leica ?

imran_ahmed

I may be going to UK in October. Last time I bought film at Dubai airport.

However the street processing by Boots and snappy snaps showed a visible lack

of colours. The film is question was Kodak 200. Can any one advise me which

film to buy for good colour and whether film purchased via internet from UK

suppliers is better. I find the high street prices in UK at GBP 5.49 for a 36

exp roll exhorbitant . Thanks

Like Ronald said, processing is probably the problem here. The major chains (Jessops, Boots, Snappy Snaps etc.) vary quite a lot by branch (Snappy Snaps has a better rep than most). There are plenty of pro labs (especially in London) that ought to give you better results (at a price!). For film, you might try Fuji Superia (many of the High St minilabs run Fuji Frontiers that should work well with this if they're doing their job properly). Jessops had cheap 5-packs the last time I looked. Fast online sources include:

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk

http://www.mailshotsuk.co.uk

I've gone to using Fuji Superia, particularly the 100 speed. It seems to scan better on the

Frontier machines than most other C41 films I've used. There is a lot of variability in

scanning, even from the pro labs, at least in my experience.

Like Paul, I'd take Kodachrome and process it when you get home, but you have to be very confident of your equipment so you don't worry about the results. I know it sounds crazy, but the anticipation is part of the fun for me, and I'm rarely disappointed. Even if you want to shoot C-41, I would take it home for development. I shoot a lot of Kodak 400 UC for C-41 just because its easy to get and versatile: snappy for 4x6 prints for the situations when I shoot C-41, but that's not normally for special travel pictures.

Hi Imran!

<p>

I suggest a bit of experimentation. Like you, I'm finding very little to choose from in Pakistan. The Fuji ProPlus II 100 is generally the best I can find in the local market. It seems to be a low contrast film that is good for capturing details of colorful clothing but still capture details in darker and more complicated complexions. Still, I really like the results that can be had from better films. I have a quick run to Bangkok where I will be stocking up on film stock!!!

<p>

The Portra family of Kodak films are very, very nice. I really suggest the VC versions. The new 160VC would give you an opportunity to see more of the subtle differences in your excellent selection of lenses. They do cost more than the standard consumer fare, but I have very often found it well worth the cost.

<p>

I may be wrong, but I have found that given even/only average to decent processing (unlike what I have found in Pakistan so far, which has been grim!..), the film stock does make a real difference.

<p>

Frankly, I like 400 speed films. If Kodak, Portra. The Fuji NPH is also really nice, but the 400 Superia is not far off. The Fuji consumer print (both 100 and, particularly, the 400) is often a good deal, price-wise, and gives excellent results for the $$. This film may be your best bet, again only in my modest opinion.

<p>

The nice thing about 400 speed is that you can use the older and slower lenses wide open in low/er light situations, which gives you more chance to, again, appreciate your lens and camera collection. I find the low-end film less likely to be helpful, and the Kodak Color 200 is, IMHO, right down there. It will do for memories when nothing else is available, but you have a collection of fine photographic machines. Feed them right. But have fun in the experimentation.

<p>

For finding decent processing, keep asking.., and let me know what you find out.

<p>

All the best from Peshawar! Owen

Thanks to everybody for such kind and helpful responses. I will try and buy the Porta 160VC and 400 from an internet supplier before reaching UK. Owen 5 years back the film printing in Pakistan was excellent. However as you say it i grim to say the least. Harsh sunlight does not help with colours anyway. I shall put the 400 speed film in Leica M and the other in Leica R for street photography.

Thanks