Second Strobe or Better Lens

cham

I've now come to the stage whereby I have the money to upgrade a little and I

know this is an odd question and I know i'm going to get the "it depends on

the type of photography you want to do" answer

but just as an opinion if given the choice of a new lens such as a 17-40L or a

second 580EX and save the extra money for something later what would you

choose? forget about values etc... just basically Lens or Strobe?

well no there are times when the second flash would come in handy when i'm doing portraits or shooting bands... but then there are times when a longer focal length would come in handy...

just interested to see what people would rather spend the money on that's all

<p>Multiple flash units would most often be used for photography in a controlled studio environment - portraiture, product photography, still life - or for macro. I don't do those types of work, so while I certainly wouldn't object if a second flash were to appear at my door, I wouldn't buy it myself.</p>

<p>An upgrade from my 420EX to a 580EX would be nice, but an upgrade for one of my lenses, or a new lens, would be even more useful to me. So I'd go for the lens.</p>

Strobes are great (espically the 580EX- MUCH better than I imaged!)

But remeber, a camera, no matter how good, is merely a light tight box to hold film (or D sensor) and it is the LENS that makes to photograph. Everything else is secondary.

This is from a gearhead!

Better glass means better chance of making better photos.

Bodies are old hat in 5 years (esp with digital) other accessories like flash units can become obsolete, but a great lens will last a long long time (assuming they don't change the mount, I still love my 24mm F2.8 FD, but it doesn't work on my EOS bodies)

I have the 17-40mm F4L and it, my 200mm F2.8L and the 70-200 F$l are super! I have not regreted buying them.

Ed

Over time. . .I have gotten BOTH.

I must admit. . the second flash is underutilized. You really can't use dual flash for "quick snapshots". Too hard to control shadows from the second flash.

But. . when it works. . .multi flash is really sweet. If you have TIME to setup the shots. . .

But. . what of your current lenses? If you have nothing like the 17-40/4L (or only the kit lens in that range). . .then the lens is probably better.

This is my problem, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one.

i think i'll borrow a friend's 550 try that out at some of the shoots and then try and hire a fast quality lens and see which one i use more...

if only i could win the lottery everyday i wouldn't have to think about these things :)