Panasonic Lx versus Ricoh GX

Hi I'm just after some general opinions on what people would go for....?

I'm about to shell out some cash but can't decide between the two. I'm not really a techi person. I like

manual shooting, wide open fstops and to be in control of a nice and simple camera. I still shoot with a

nikon fm2/f3 and a box of primes! but need something I can keep in my pocket.

Any opinions?

Can't speak for the Lx, but the Ricoh GX is a pretty nice little camera. Curious if you found a new one, or do you mean the Ricoh GX8 (8meg)? The GX is 5 meg, and has slightly less noise, and I don't think it is currently offered, being replaced by the GX8. Form factor is the same. For pocketability they work, but best for loose pockets as they've got a right hand grip/bump. Very capable cameras and the interface is set up thoughtfully for changing aperture and shutter speed, as well as other user configured parameters. The GX/GX8 are very fast focussing and AF included, shutter lag is about .10 secs in daylight. Slows somewhat as conditions become dimmer. The 3X lens is quite sharp corner to corner, and the DW-4 wide angle conversion lens will make the 28mm into about 22mm. With the GX noise is fairly well controlled through ISO 400, and I frequently used ISO 800..1600 is there in a pinch. Ricoh uses no noise reduction that I could tell, and it's a good thing if you want to retain as much detail as possible.

I used my GX almost daily for 2 years, and it proved quite rugged, and was working 100% when I sold it. It was Ricoh's first attempt at a GR type digital, and they had photographers in mind in the design, a lot of the control layout has been carried over to the GR Digital.

From samples I've seen the LX produces pictures with more of the pop many snapshooters like, right from the camera. The Ricoh's colors are very natural, and somewhat muted. Generally I'd say with the Ricoh you will normally want to post process the images to get the best from them. The respond well to tweeking though and tend to be somewhat "filmlike".. whatever that means..perhaps different things to different photographers.