New "Leicasonics" -- Image Processing Adjustments

don_e

Reading dpreview.com's News about the three new "Leicasonics" -- it

includes this statement: "While this camera is based on the [insert

Panasonic version] it has had image processing adjustments as defined

by Leica".

Has anyone read anything explaining what those "adjustments" are?

Inquiring minds want to know...

TIA

Don E

JC:

dpreview.com stated, in their review of the FZ50:

"It's interesting to compare the FZ50 (with it's Venus III engine) and its predecessor the FZ30. Noise is visibly lower, but (using the default NR setting as here) you're sacrificing even more detail, producing results that - though very clean and smooth - are actually softer looking and less detailed, despite the extra two million pixels. As our studio shot shows, with good light and fairly contrasty detail, detail is actually fairly well preserved even at ISO 400 (the luminance NR is quite low), but once you get low contrast fine detail you can see the effect of the heavy chroma NR even at ISO 100."

However, they do note that with the ability to shoot RAW, the FZ50 does allow the end-user to balance the noise/detail equation to their own liking.

"...what I want to read about is it being compared favourably with the Fuji F30 before I let go my FZ30..." JC

My expectations for the 50 were fulfilled and I am pleased to have gotten the 30 at the bottom of its price range, instead. It will serve for a good while as the telephoto after the K10D, kit lens, and DA21 appear under the Christmas tree.

--

Don E

Personally, I would be surprised if there was a significant difference between the Leica and Panasonic versions. There hasn't been any difference between them in the past, so i don't expect to see any differences in the future.

These are, after all, rebadged cameras, the whole point of re-badging is to fill a hole in your camera line as quickly and as cheaply as possible.

Personally, I would love to see Leica get serious about the 4/3s system format since I don't think even Olympus has fully explored the potential for quality that 4/3s is capable of; and I'm not certain of Panasonic's commitment to the system.

It appears Panasonic made changes to the ip engine regarding noise in these later models -- the Venus II to the Venus III, I think it is. Leica may have a different notion about that and may not have wanted it in cameras badged "Leica".

I don't recollect Leica making that distinction in their press copy for the Venus II "Leicasonics". If they didn't, then it is likely the issue is the Venus III NR.

I hope when the cameras are reviewed, the reviewers don't assume what holds true for one is true for the other and they compare results.

--

Don E

Panasonic's commitment to 4/3 is strong enough for them to make the L1 slr. It is also one of the "Leicasonics", the DigiLux 3 -- "it has had image processing adjustments as defined by Leica."

Panasonic has priced the L1 in the 30D and D200 tier rather than at entry level as have Sony and Pentax. I don't know what it means. either as far as commitment goes.

--

Don E

Panasonic could well have lost me, not that I am planning on a new camera at the moment, becuase instead of making a 4/3 or APS single lens camera such as Sony's R1 they entered the DSLR interchangeable lens market without AS or SSS in the body. No way am I going to go the OIS in each lens road :-)

Obviously DSLR is where the money is and they are hoping for their cut of the cake ... I want a good working camera along the style of the FZ30.

As you know I don't have much time for DSLRs but of course I respect their large sensors :-)