(not the adapter). If you remove the glass and ring from the Tiffen, you can

drop a Leitz Series VIII filter right into it. A little tape gasket makes up

the radial difference. The Linhof front retainer and/or WA shade thing screws

in perfectly.)

Just wondering of others find that at least once a week they are fabricating

things to make LF work, or work better and also repairing the gear? Oy, and

one of the Linhof Graflex thumb slides fell out yesterday. And of course,

there's the intractible power supply issue for the Chromegacontrol, and that

little issue with the Biogon aperture lever ... and oh no, I'm whining!

Okay, I'm out of the shop right now. Work to do. I mean photographic work.

Hey Pico, you're willing to make custom stuff for money, right? What sorts of items and materials do you usually make and work with? What kind of shop machinery are you working with? Got photos of stuff? Got a list of things you already know how to make?

(ok, that's about as big an opening as I can give you, jump on in)

"And all for only $19.95? WOW!"

Gary, I make only simple things that anyone else can make. Nothing special - whatever it takes to do the job. Precision machining is outsourced. If I have any advantage it is knowing what parts can be adapted. No magic.

What I would really like to learn is how to make those 'petal' type lens shades - rather how to calculate the curves and angle. I've two large wide-angles that have no shade.

I can relate, although I haven't made stuff for LF yet, as my LF equipment is modern. I don't have the Graphlexes and old stuff that other people have, although building a 4x5 is on my "important" to-do list. I do a bit of woodworking, and try to do make as much of my own stuff as possible, not always cost effective, but usually a lot better product than buying in the store. Pico, do you do any computer CADD work? There are places I've seen that will take your cad file and do extrusions out of various materials, thinking of your wide angle petal lens shades. For home use, I mainly use cad to print out templates of shapes impossible to draw by hand, to cut on bandsaw or scrollsaw. I also recommend checking out the camera maker forum at apug, as well as yahoo groups. And an expensive little quarterly magazine called Make. Thanks

<i>Pico, do you do any computer CADD work? </i><p>

Not really, although I was one of the first emachineshop.com customers. Some will say that's not really CADD. Dunno. To tell the truth, I am so deeply mired in digital video editing (largely with Final Cut Pro) that I don't have much spare time for learning CADD.<p>

I <b>do</b> have a dream LF to build. It is completely unconventional, as nutty as I am, but I depend upon a hugely bright local machinist to Make It So. It is going much too slow for me, but so be it.<p>

Anyway folks, I'm hitting the road for a few days, hoping to get lost in on Lake Superior, traveling light. I'll be thinking of you all. <p>

Pax<p>

Pico

Dear Pico,

Yes. New lens boards for my Gandolfi Universal; replace the crumbling zinc septums in the bookform holders; file, drill and tap a new locking slug for the rear standard... And that's just one camera! In all fairness, it is around 100 years old.

But much of yesterday was spend repairing the rear sight on my Weihrauch HW 45 (an air pistol, not a camera).

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)