Digital rebel series, is there any new model that are comming up ?

pascal_kazerski

I bought a Rebel Digital in Feburary 2005 and two months later the rebel xt

was avilable at a cheaper price that I paid the standard rebel. I'm just about

to buy the Rebel XT but I'm wondering if I will make the same mistake again.

Do anybody know if Canon plan to sale a new model that will replace the XT

soon.

Thanks

Pascal

Definitely maybe.

I personally think the 18 month cycle of late for same model upgrade is going to extend to 2 years. But if anything will cause Canon to stick with the 18 month cycle this time around for the Rebel, it is the Sony Alpha. Their marketting people are definitely going to feel the need to answer that release with a new model in that cam level.

By the way, the reason I think cams are going to 2 year cycles is because the latest interview with Canon indicates acknowledgement that they have to spend more time improving lens design.

My opinion is pure speculation like everyone else's, but I wouldn't expect the successor to the dRebel XT to improve on its feature set any more than the 30D did relative to the 20D. In fact, you could probably put together a likely feature set from the 30D's improved specs: 2.5" wide-angle LCD, direct print button, possibly spot metering and dual speed burst rate. Not likely to be nearly as much of an improvement over the XT as the XT was over the original dRebel. Too much improvement in any dimension would make the 30D look uncompetitive by comparison.

Probably won't be an upgrade for the XT. Maybe they'll release a newer version of the XT with better positioned knobs or bigger LCD or something.

Canon's lineup goes from:

1DsM2 16mp

5D 13mp

30D 8mp

xt 8mp

(i might be slightly off on the first 2 numbers)

They can't make a 8+ sensor for the xt considering the 30D just got released or else it will take away from their 30D sales.

The latest model improvement was the 30D and that was bascially a very small non-technical improvement on the 20D. The one before that was 1D MkII becoming 1D MkII N which was bascially the same thing: all non-technical improvements.

I can see canon making the XT cheaper or making a "new" model of the XT but can't see any real technical improvements on it happening any time soon.

Canon will not say until it is released. They don't even tell their reps what is coming out.

Most likely, given the history, there will be something new around Christmas time. But like the prevouis post it probably will not be a huge change. I doubt they will go to a 10mp yet. I could be wrong. I think if they were going to go to a 10mp they would have done it with the 30D.

>>I can see canon making the XT cheaper or making a "new" model of the XT but can't see any real technical improvements on it happening any time soon.

Agreed. If true, then Pascal won't have nearly the same level of regret that he did when the original DR was replaced by the XT. The XT is already such a great performer as is.

The "gripes" out about the Rebel XT seem to be it's small size, LCD strip on the back as opposed to the top - and some comments about knob size/placement. I suppose if someone wants a "bigger" camera, then they have options. Many trekkers seem to LIKE the smaller size/weight/portability of the Rebel XT, and it has great -$900 features. At +$1200 I wouldn't have considered a DSLR, so the Rebel XT seems to have its own niche in the marketplace. I can't see them doing anything to make it more expensive (improvements such as MP).

There will be a new model rebel this comming autum.

<P>How can i be so sure?

<BR>Because the rebel is now the only entry level model with such a tiny rear screen.They could upgrade it on that feature alone!

<P>Also expect a body shape and button arrangement similar to the 5D and 30D plus picture styles and other minor changes.

<P>The sensor will not be bumped up to 10Mp -that is just silly.

<BR>On the other hand there is definitely a possibility of new technologies being introduced with the rebel.There has been talk for some time about OLED rear displays.Canon is developing them but will only use them once certain performance parameters are met (mostly lifetime issues i think)

<P>I've heard talk of a new type of sensor but nothing remotely official

<P><P>One thing i really hope they improve is that shape of the grip.A small camera is all well and good but slightly changing the grip shape and button placement would make it far easier to use for those of us with normal sized hands! !

My guess is that the rebel line will split in two, with an upscale rebel aiming to compete with the Alpha and Nikon's D70s update (that will almost certainly use the 10MP Sony sensor), and there will be a cheaper drebel aimng to compete with the D50 and Pentax DSLRs.

I wouldn't rule out the drebel going to 10 MP. Whenever Canon introduces a new model, it will inevetiably canabalise some of the sales from its own products. That is unavoidable. eg the original drebel impacted on 10D, the XT impacted on 20D sales. Though the normal pattern has been for Canon to introduce the prosumer model first.

I doubt Canon will want to be trailing Nikon and Sony in the MP count for a year and a half, which is what would happen if the next rebel stays at 8MP and the 30D lives out the full 18 month lifecycle.

While the jump from 8MP to 10MP is not big, in marketing terms it may well be.

Canon/Nikon have spent a lot of marketing money convincing consumers of the more pixels the better the dream. They will not allow Sony to high jack this marketing. Remember how disappointed many people were that the 30D had only 8mp. Nikon was quick to re act with 10mp D200 and now Sony is on the same bandwagon. Anti shake,10mp, dust cleaning, Zeiss lenses, and half the price of the Nikon D200.

I think Geoff is on the button with his post.

"Remember how disappointed many people were that the 30D had only 8mp. Nikon was quick to react with 10mp D200"

You have the timeline backwards. The Nikon came first, then the canon. Nikon couldn't have reacted to the canon. Plus, the D200 and the 30D are on different playing fields. They fill different niches in the market. The price difference alone sets them far apart.

I think canon is satisifed that the rebel series dominates the consumer level SLR's. On that level, it's the small size and the cheap price that matters more than the 2mp gain, although I do like that statement that was made "Canon/Nikon have spent a lot of marketing money convincing consumers of the more pixels the better the dream."

I don't see the rebel line spliting into two, one to complete with the D50 and one to compete with the alpha and D70s. The 30D already fills that second niche.