Successor to the Pentax Optio 750Z ?

robert_lauder

the meter on the 750Z was amazing (spot meter to boot) but I'm not sure the camera was that great. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing great (other then the meter). I guess it was typical Pentax (till the K10D).

Have you looked at the Kodak P series 850 and 880 (i think)? They are really nice, shoot in raw format. Have hotshoes for flash. Overall a great camera if you don't want an SLR. Not that big but have nice lenses and one at least is shake reduction.

Anyway, if I didn't already have an SLR and a compact digital i'd go with one of these. But my wife has been begging for a pocket digita so besides the K10D that is my next investment.

Thanks for your input Justin.

I have a Minolta A1 which is very similar to the Kodak P850.

What I was looking for something a little more compact, not a shirt pocket camera necessarily but something for a jacket pocket or baggy pants. Also a flip LCD and optical viewfinder is a must for me. AA battery power is a plus

Currently the Canon A620 fits the bill but the design is kind of boring.

The Fuji F900 is also very nice but no flip screen, it's powered by AA batteries though.

Looks like I would have to wait another year or so, since most new models are already out.

I'm debating whether to hang on to my optio 750 or not. It is not an easy decision though.

It certainly has some great features, and image quality is top notch, not consistent with the lukewarm dpreview and some others at all.

The only criticism I've found valid is that it's a little slow on startup, and even that is not as bad as some reports because it depends on how much memory data you choose to recall on startup. I get startup to first shot on the order of 2 to 3 seconds.

I disagree that there is nothing special about the 750z. It would be difficult to name another camera this compact with such a wealth of technical and user features. The spot meter mode alone (as mentioned) is completely unique, as is the implementation of the digital filter effects, the excellent live histogram and flashing displays for both blown highlights and blocked shadow areas, a very useable Manual Focus mode..highly unusual in a camer this size. The flip out LCD, and one of the better (although that's not saying much) optical viewfinders. The 5X lens has a great useable range.

It may seem strange, but I replaced my KM-A2 with this camera, as I had a use for the change that was left over also. But I've been surprised to see that I've gotten generally better image quality from this little Pentax, for jpegs of course. I seldom used my A2 for RAW anyway.

Another point on the 750Z is that its ISO 400 performance is excellent.

I recently bought the Fuji E900 and that is the other camera I considered when I got the Optio 750z, but I wanted the flip LCD and the general construction seemed more robust on the 750z (except for the plastic LCD hinge). But I still wanted a fast acting compact and with recent price drops now I also have the E900. I've revised my opinion of the build..after using it for over a month, it is very solid feeling. And the ISO 800 works well, and the extra resolution is nice for some things.

With the E900, I've found that I don't miss the waistlevel shooting flexibility of the flip and twist LCD for what I use the compacts for. So I'm hoping that the G7 might prove to combine enough of what I like about both of these cameras into one package. Unfortunately it isn't as compact as either.

But I'm conflicted about selling my Optio 750z and giving up what I find is an extremely unique small camera both from a functional standpoint as well as it being an interesting retro design. When in doubt, do nothing, as they say. I'll wait and see what the verdict is on the G7. It'll have to be very very good for me to part with this pair of compacts.

Very nice synopsis on the 750Z, Dean. As a KM A1 owner found it very interesting that it replaced the KM A2 for you. I feel like I missed the boat on this one. Or perhaps, Pentax has missed the boat. I don't like the direction they're taking on compact cameras, no flip screen or even EVF on any of the newer models. My first digital was an Optio 330RS, a very nice and solid metal camera.

It seems that I'm crosshoping the same cameras. If the Fuji E900 had a flip-screen I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I've been looking at the Canon A640 but the design is nothing special. I know that design contributes nothing to image quality but to me an attractive camera just makes me want to handle and use it more.

We'll see what 2007 will bring.