Focal length comparison chart

mikemeskin

And the angles of view you have used to draw this diagram are for the diagonal, or so it appears to me. (The 90.9 degree angle for a 21mm lens that you quote refers to the film diagonal field of view for example.)

It would be nicer and more useful for us to have wide side (36mm film) angles displayed to understand the left to right angle of view in landscape format.

Can you retry. I never judge across the diagonal, nor - I would assume - does anyone else.

Shows me why I like the 35/50/90 (or 100) combo. Three really distinct focal lengths.

I've done this on vacation with my Leica IIIa and like-vintage Leitz lenses (Elmar/Summar/Elmar), and with my Canon 7s and Canon lenses (35/1.8, 50/1.5, 100/3.5). I've rarely ever wanted anything longer than a 100, it has always been a favorite length since my Topcon), 135's have never sent me. I do have a Canon 28, but quite a few of the shots with that have been cropped back to 35mm FOV anyways...

I selfishly included only the lenses that I have considered for myself... but the point of this

was to get a rough idea of what might be a good choice for a second lens. It seems like a

35/75 combination would cover a lot of ground, but then again, it depends on the situation.

Frank, - I think you can simply scale the chart to about 91.2% horizontaly to get an idea of

what the "side to side" angles would look like. Al - sorry I did not include the rest of them...

Anyway, here is the updated chart, with the 40, 15, and 12mm. -

:)<div>00ICvy-32632984.jpg.b5516aa0a7ca57917aad799f57d61185.jpg</div>