Advertising Feedback

toddlaffler

Hello everyone. Firstly, thank you to all of those that gave me feedback on my first ad mock ups, it was

interesting to read your comments. I think I have decided to go with my gut and use the image of the

bride doing the chicken dance. :) That one is for one bridal magazine. The second bridal magazine I will

be advertising in will be a 1/3 page ad instead of a 1/4 like the last one.

SInce this ad will be 1/3 of a page B&W I decided to use all 3 images that I was considering before, but

will be using the one people seemed to like the best before as the main picture.

So, I am putting this ad up for some honest feedback and critiques. Do the images work well together?

Once again I am in the NY metro area and am a mid price ranged, mostly PJ style wedding

photographer. Also, is the typography effective too?

I want to come across as a little upscale, a little "artsy", competent, and simple photographer.

As always, much appreciation in advance. And do let me know if I can return the favor. Thanks

Todd<div>00IDCh-32640084.jpg.aa02d2133195a9e9c93a66450bc6705d.jpg</div>

Looks good and seems to communicate your message. The only thing I would look at is the bottom right image. It's somewhat similar in framing to the shot above it. Play around with some other images in that space - possibly a close-up or detail shot.

<p>

Nice B&W stuff, this will get you some meetings IMO.

Todd- to me adding the other images just seems to water down the effect of the little girl. You have everything right in that image- a far away dream- a look to the future- waiting for "prince charming"...all the reasons people pay thousands and thousands of dollars for a wedding you have summed up in that one photo- without saying anything. And I think it perfectly describes what you are trying to say about yourself too.

If it were me I would use just the little girl :)

<p>Todd - I think this is an example of where over-analysis can get you :-)</p>

<p>To be honest, your ad is getting worse with each attempt. Stick with the girl looking out over the city - it's a great image. Or stick with your first post: girl + bride + silhoutte. All these images work well together, and it makes a great ad.</p>

<p>But if I were you I would not use the last two you posted. IMHO, they're truly awful.</p>

Todd - I like your first attempt the most also... You need a photo of a bride/groom together since that is ultimately what a wedding is all about. The kids are cute and eye catching but if I were a bride I would want to see what you do with the couple versus the guests/attendants. Does that make sense???? The pictures of the couple will be the ones that will bring in the most money in prints and be cherished/displayed for the rest of their lives. Traditional yes, but true.

Conrad, thank you. :)

Stacey, thank you for your input, I appreciate it. Since this is a 1/3 of a page ad (they don't

offer 1/4 page ads like the other magazine does) the photo of the girl doesn't quite fit in it

without cropping a bunch. See attched link...

http://www.photo.net/photo/5004659

I also felt that instead of putting so much stock into one single photo, it was better to

cover my bases so to speak by showing something else as well. I understand what you are

saying, less is more right? My other problem with just using that image of the girl is that

it's the back of the flower girl. I feel that brides want to also see other brides looking

pretty etc. so they can imagine themselves in the photo.

Neil, thanks for your thoughts. I was just playing around with different images in the lower

right spot. I don't think the images I chose (while they may not work perfectly) made the

entire ad "truly awful". Then again, you certainly are entitled to you IMHO :)

Sarah, thanks for your input on this.

Emily, I think you bring up some good points for sure. Although in this particular

circumstance, this photo will be cherished/diplayed because it is the bride's daughter. :P

Thanks again.

Todd

Professionals pick things to death. The ad is very effective. We always look at things on a professional level, its hard to look at it from a bride's viewpoint. The first ad accomplishes everything you were trying for, and there may or may not be a better photo that could go into the bottom right, however, another thing to take into consideration is what your competition's previous ads look like. You want to keep in mind not to have something too similar to theirs. If your first version of your ad stands out against others, then leave it be. By the way, I'm a graphic designer who works for a Photog Studio....The typography works extremely well also.

<p>Hi Todd -</p>

<p>Glad you got it settled in your head, and thanks for being gracious about my extreme

opinion. Both of the images you tested (gargolyle + boy) have rather extreme grimacing faces

which is really not what I would ever want to associate with a wedding advertisement --

hence my 'truly awful' comment. As I'm sure you know, no negative implications were

intended about your photography.</p>

• 1 month later...