A road in South-West Germany

Miha

Hi, everyone.

I plan to travel through South-West Germany with a car and a trailer

(caravan). Desired road is No.311 from Ulm, over Ehingen, Riedlingen, Mengen

Tuttlingen and Geisingen and then on the road 31 near Neustadt and Titisee

till Freiburg. Than we are going to France.

My question is: Is this road suitable for towing a trailer (caravan).

Every help is much appreciated.

Thanks, Miha.

I used part of this route last week. There are a few small tunnels along the Danube valley (not on your route, I think) and some hairpin bends. Otherwise the route is an easy drive by car - but there are better sources of travel information that photo.net for caravanners! Try www.viamichelin.com - it allows you to select a route for car & trailer.

Miha,

40ton trucks are using this road (311+31) without trouble.

When driving from Neustadt to Freiburg there are a few km's with a

steep descend, so make sure your breaks are ok ... especially if the trailer has no own breaks.

Regards ... Rainer

You are doing this for landscape and photo oportunities, right?

For spedy travel this would be an arduously painful way to go over / through the mountains with a trailer, though 40 tonners do it, too.

Almost all roads in central Europe, even the one's with 12% or 15% slopes are suitable for towing trailers, if the driver knows what to do and if the rig is safe and sound. Good luck!

Thanks, guys. You have been a great help.

We are actually travelling to France, but I (as the sole driver in the family) am tired of driving the Autobahn Munich-Stuttgart-Karlsruhe-Strassbourg once again. So I was thinking about an alternative route - not to miss some good photo opportunities, of course (and off course too).

My car is OK (it has been serviced regularly as was the caravan). We are making many thousands of km every year with the caravan so I am not a novice in this field. But I am not that much a computer guy so I was seeking a quick help at the address that I know. I just couldn't see from the map if the road was too steep or there were any permanent problems on the road.

Thanks again, Miha.

P.S. The photo of the place where I live - actually only the old part of the town.<div>00H5sj-30845084.thumb.jpg.739a4d92b0c3ac34741bb557f0266bcb.jpg</div>

Miha,<p>

if you have got enough time you could leave B311 at Mengen for taking the small road along the most scenic part of the upper Danube between Sigmaringen and Tuttlingen. This will include great views of the Wildenburg and of other castles and ruins on rock tops as well as a look at where the Danube is disappearing into the ground ( at Fridingen). </p>

For detailed driving information the "Wuerttembergische Camping- and Caravan Club im ADAC" should be able to help: http://www.wccc-adac.de/ </p>

Uli