option for D70S.

a) Nikon 18-70 DX

b) Nikon 18-55 DX

c) Nikon 28-105 3.5/4.5 AF-D IF

It would be great if you kindly support your choice with reason in couple of

lines.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Riz

Not to be snide, but what kind of photographs do you want to make?

In particular, the 18-70 and 28-105 cover significantly different focal-length ranges. The 18-70 is (IMHO) better "all around", but if you're shooting portaits and the like then the slightly longer reach of the 28-105 might be desirable.

If I can mix systems for a moment, I love my 18-70 and D70 for "walking around" shots, and keep a 24-105 or longer telephoto on my 20D for shots where I want to compress the perspective (or need the reach).

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Thanks Leon and Geoff,

Geoff:

I want to make all type of photogrpahy (landscape, people, action etc). I also have F70. Tamron 28-300 which I was using with that broke.

Now I want to shift to D70S. The reason for the considertaion of 28-105 was to use same lens on both bodies.

But main thing is: If 18-70 DX performance is remarkable on D70S i.e. better than 28-105 then I would consider 18-70 DX (and start saving for 28-105.

Looking forward,

Thanks,

Riz

Hi Riz. Your 28-105mm lens will work perfectly well on a D70s, but...

Because the D70s sensor is much smaller than 35mm film, on a D70s it will give you an angle of view equivalent (multiply by 1.5) to a 42-158mm lens. The 18-70 on a D70s will give you an angle of view equivalent to a 27-105 on a film camera. So the 18-70 provides the same wide to tele angle of view on a D70s as the 28-105 does on a film camera. The 18-70 also allows manual focus corrections to be made when the lens is set in AF, which can be very convenient sometimes. It is probably worth keeping the 28-105 for now as it will give you a little more telephoto magnification.

I think you will need to get one of the 18-something lenses but which one will come down to whether you want to pay more for the better quality lens (18-70). If you are going to be mainly shooting in bright light then the 18-55 will seldome be used wide open and quality may not be such a big issue. Regards, Ross