over extended periods, lead to back and shoulder problems. Now, I

haven't weighed the stuff, but I'm sure that my Mamiya 645 and

associated glass and gadgets weighs well over 5 pounds. So my

question is what do you do to make it easier to haul around all of

your gear if, like me, you do not care for the backpack style of

camera bag. (I don't want to start a debate over the virtues of the

backpack - I tried 'em and I don't like 'em so I am searching for

other suggestions.)

Tamrac makes a case called a Rolling Strongbox, in 2 different sizes. It's very similar to a Lightware case, but has a telescoping handle and inline skate wheels, and you roll it just like a piece of luggage.

It has handles on the top and sides, so you can pick it up to lift it over curbs, or carry it horizontally like a suitcase if need be.

It has an ABS plastice frame wrapped in tough Cordura nylon, and it's very rugged.

I have 3 of them, and would NEVER go back to a shoulder bag!

Dear Tony, I too have struggled, literally, to find the best answer

for camera equipment carrying. On some occasions, I use A photographer's vest. It's very convenient to access your equipment from the various pockets, and distributes the weight more evenly. I usually go to a location with a bag or two of stuff, and then transfer what I need to the vest for working.

The strong box is a good suggestion to go to a job site, like weddimngs, etc. This is a dilema we all face! And you seem to never have the right bag or tripod! The tyranny of film they say,causes some photographers to just grab the point and shoot! Check out all the manufactures cataloges, and go to photo stores, camera swaps, etc. Find what works for you! Sincerely, Robert C. Harvey

The Swedish Professional Photographers' Association (literally, and

appropriately, called the 'Picture Deliverers' Association) recently

did an extensive survey of occupational health hazards amongst its

members. The two most common complaints were neck/back trouble and

varying degrees of allergic sensitivity to darkroom chemicals. For

the former, heavy shoulder bags with a single strap were universally

blamed - with corroborating evidence from various unsurprised

surgeons.

The solution is to distrubute the weight evenly across your shoulders,

and to transfer as much as possible to your hips. A properly designed

rucksack does this, as does a belt and braces/vest system like those

sold by Kinesis and the ones used by armed forces the world over. The

only trouble the non-rucksack systems is that you can end up looking

like a total dork or, worse, an apprentice brownshirt.

A case with a handle and rollers is the most convenient for hauling. Lightware makes two: the LW-1422 and the LW-1623. The LW-1422 measures 22x16x8 and is carry-on size. Price is $400. I can fit a P67 with 4 lenses, an EOS-1n with 4 lenses, and accessories.

I recently bought an American Tourister rolling carry on soft side airline bag with the telescoping handle to keep a paul c buff mono light in. I cut the cross elastic straps out. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a colman closed cell camp mat and cut the mat into pieces to line the case. The case cost me about $60.00 at K mart and the camp mat was about $10.00 at wal mart. A fair bargan if you check the photo cases. The case is courda nylon and also has 2 ext. pockets that I keep my cords in. The dude rolls, has a nylon strap on top to lash on extra crap. If you tear it up, you havent lost much!!!

I have found the Photoflex MSB 2 to be extremely comfortable with 15-18 lbs in it. It is basically a shoulder bag with large waistbelt, easy to work out of, and I can carry it all day. The waistbelt puts most of the weight on your hips. I have also put a three compartment Domke insert into a Mountainsmith Day Pack and have been able to carry 1 body with an attached lens and 2 additional lenses along with 10-20 rolls of film, filters, small accessories and a water bottle. Works great for urban photography and carries all day.