Linhof Technika 70

ben conover

Ok, just for the record the camera arrived. It is a fantastic chunk of metal that operates amazingly well. The only problem is the weight ! It is not possible to handhold with any degree of comfort, no matter how teutonic one may be...Also there are issues with the cosmetics not stated in the sales pitch, so it's going back to the seller tomorrow!

I now see why others go for a tripod with the linhof and forget the rangefinder thing.

Cheers.

Jean,

I could use this beast hand held but it dosen't make sense to do so. The weight is not the major problem it's the inconvenience. I could probably use a 10x8 handheld too, but then that would be ridiculous! When you hand hold you can't use movements, and you lose sharpness. Why hand hold a camera designed to use movements? To me this Linhof should not have a rangefinder on it and it should belong on a tripod. The movements are fantastic and very well engineered. The bellows seems to extend waaaay past normal macro. I measured the image I got on the groundglass at full extension using the Xenotar 80mm, it was at least three times life size! No doubt the Xenotar is truely fantastic, but I can't see a use for it with these rangefinder Linhof's. I'd rather use a Fuji g690bl for rangefinding. Also, the finder in the 70 is so big that it flares very easily. Even after I cleaned it. Better off with a Mamiya 645 with 1.8 for handheld. Plus you can use digital backs etc handheld. So, why would anyone want to use a 4x5 camera handheld is confusing. They used to handhold them, but that was then.....

Cheers.

Ben,<br>

<i>"So, why would anyone want to use a 4x5 camera handheld is confusing"</i> and <i>"They used to handhold them, but that was then..."</i>.<br>

Hard, hard sentences... ;>))<br>

No, I believe that it always makes sense. First of all, I think that the rangefinder system has never been conceived for taking photographs with the camera fixed on a tripod.<br>

I use the Linhof about 30 to 40 per cent handheld. As the rangefinder is highly accurate (thanks to the large RF base) focusing with it is easy and rapid.<p>

Ergonomics : the camera has been conceived for a perfect handholding use. The handgrip(s), the position of controls (focusing...) have been carefully tested. That is not for using it on a tripod.<br>

Why a large format camera handheld ? <br>

- First because its weight is an advantage for stability. When you are trained, and after a period of practice, you understand that the weight prevents some movements caused by breath, or cardiac pulse.<br>

I always had some difficulties to use a light all-plastic 35mm or digital camera under 1/60s or 1/125 s. The Linhof can be fired at 1/16s or even 1/8s and, believe me or not, the shots are very sharp.<br>

- Then, no huge mirror, no large focal plane shutter. Handheld, if you lock the mirror up on a MF camera, you have no more sight of your subject. Leaf shutters have virtually no vibrations at all.<p>

- The viewfinder is also a good system, because you can see all what happens around the subject frame before shooting.<br>

<i>"Why hand hold a camera designed to use movements?"</i> Simply because these cameras are not designed for a unique, but for a dual use : most of the movements needed for perspective and depth of field control are available when the camera is placed on a tripod. When removed, the camera is used like a rangefinder camera ( I use to call it "my beefed-up Leica"), but which produces large negatives or Polaroid : from 4x5" to 6x9 in my own practice. A Polaroid pack positive is something beautiful.<p>

I easily understand that you may not like your Linhof 70, and that, after the enthusiasm, the deception came.("My new love" is now hatred.)<br>

To speak frankly, this camera is not the best one produced by Linhof manufacture. The rangefinder and light meter housing is a huge and heavy outgrowth on the camera. The light meter probably doesn't work anymore. The rangefinder has to be correctly cammed otherwise it is useless. And with the height and weight, the camera is totally unbalanced.<br>

Many Technika 70 users dismount the RF/cell block and simply use the camera as a groundglass one.<br>

The Linhof Technika Press has a better design for handheld - and only handheld use. No rise or fall movements, no front tilts. And excellent Zeiss or Schneider lenses.<br><div>00IGLd-32712384.jpg.67956a8a6f59d611ce0369883020f849.jpg</div>

Jean,

I will keep my Linhof because I love her. The big rangefinder is great for viewing and very accurate, the lens matches the body and is cammed correctly. The light meter works, the whole babe works.

The bellows seem to extend up to 2.5 times life size with the 80mm Xenotar. I can't ask for anything else. The Linhof you show above is limited to a smaller rangefiner window and no movements. Plus it takes bulky lenses.

I see the precision movements and the great rangefinder as a compromise in one body but the weight is worth the struggle.

I know that the weight is good for keeping the camera stable.

Also, the lens is so darn sharp and perfect I really can't help being in love with her. I've been experimentng holding her at eye level with the grip in the left hand, and triping the shutter with the right hand direct on the lens, works well. That way I can support the weight of the camera also with the right hand and avoid using the cable release.

I plan to get a few more lenses to use on the groundglass.

Any ideas which ones might fit her well ?

Thanks all for your help and marriage counselling for me and La Linhof.

Ben.