*Lightweight - fits in my camera bag

*77mm filter, can interchange with my 17-55mm, 70-200mm VR

*beautiful finish, AF-S, decent price.

-

*Autofocus is slow and hunts in dim-lit condition (something unexpected from an

AF-S lens)

*Bulky collar tripod, inconvenient to take off if wants to handhold, unlike the

one from my 70-200mm VR.

-heard it's also unstable too - just ordered a kirk replacement for $149.

* no VR. Probably cant handhold this one, looks shaky all the time through the

viewfinder, unless shoots at 1/250s or more. Tripod a must on this lens?

You should find the Kirk collar to be a big improvement over the one that came on the camera. I always try and use a tripod. However, you can hand hold the lens for flight shots with good results even with a 1.4x tc attached. Depending on your camera body, try different AF settings to improve the AF performance. Joe Smith

<i>"Autofocus is slow and hunts in dim-lit condition (something unexpected from an AF-S lens)"</i> -- Well, it's an F/4 lens afterall. I don't know why users attribute AF performance entirely to the AFS motor. It's mainly a function of the AF sensor array, which is not a stellar performer on the D200 (it's ok, nothing more).<br><br>

<i>"Tripod a must on this lens?"</i> -- Actually, a tripod is highly recommended for any telephoto, VR or otherwise. And you probably would want to hit 1/640" or even faster for handheld shots with this one.

I've had mine for awhile now. I use it on film cameras,

both AF and MF, and on the D200.

I'll have to take your word about the "hunting" that goes on. It

is a bit slower on the D200, but only by a bit, and on the film cameras

it's plenty fast enough. For my purposes at any rate.

Which camera(s) do you have this lens married to? I'm sure you

understand that the cropped 420mm FL on the D200

is more difficult to hand-hold than the 300mm FF FL on a

film camera.

The Kirk foot is certainly a big improvement over the

not-especially-good-original. It allows me to take good exposures

in the 1/30 range with tripod - a thing I could not do without the

Kirk foot.

Good results from hand-holding this lens (even with a TC) is possible.

Practicing will help. And usually lateral movement

(panning, leading, sweeping) follwing cars, runners, birds in flight,

aircraft and so on often allows for good hand-held shots.

The lateral movement seems to overcome the "spikes & tremors"

of more static hand-holding.

Shutter speed too is an important factor. My lens delivers good

results wide open and optimal results at 5.6. Often this allows for

acceptable shutter speeds in hand-holding. 1/1000 is a good value

reference. Outdoors at ISO 400 and you should be able to

do well.

Good luck.

The 300/4 is one of the first AF-S lenses ... maybe its autofocus performance isn't as refined as on the 70-200. However, I don't really find any problem with the autofocus on the 300.

Yes, do get a replacement collar. Of course a 300mm is mounted on a tripod most of the time! You can hand-hold it in sunlight ... e.g. at 1/800s. I'd expect seriously blurry results at 1/250 (remember the crop factor must be factored in the guideline).

Setting the focus limiter to 3m-infinity will sure help AF speed, consider this lens has an unusually small minimum focusing distance. I also am an happy user of the kirk collar, and I am overall very impressed with what this lens can do, also with the tc14e and tc20e converters, I was really surprised, first time I have an usable lens + 2x converter combo. Also very good with tubes, try the PN11 if you have it, on your D200 you only loose AF, I am more in trouble with my D70. Good luck, Marco

Good choice on the Kirk collar. Now you can throw the factory dogleg in the trash, or

maybe use it for a Christmas tree ornament in a few months. This lens' AF performance is

on par with other medium-speed 300's. Wait until you use it as a tele-macro; THEN you

will see how good it really is. It has become my superlative flower/ lizard/ insect getter

and yes, you will benefit from a good tripod and ball head. Great lens, congrats.

Actually the 300mm/f4 AF-S was introduced in 2000, 4 years after the initial AF-S lenses (600mm, 500mm, 400, 300mm/f2.8, etc.) were introduced and also after the 80-200mm/f2.8 AF-S (1998). I have both the 300mm/f2.8 and 300mm/f4 AF-S. Somehow AF is much faster on the f2.8. I am not sure that being faster (f2.8) has anything to do with it, but when I need to shoot action, I use the f2.8 version.

Kiem, I also have the D 200. I like to use manual focus whenever I can. The AF options on the D 200 are quite extensive. Read the manual over and over again to understand all of the interrelationships involved with AF. I suggest you experiment with setting the AF sensors at seven or eleven--read about this at custom setting A3. And then there are the autofocus area selection modes. You can buy Thom Hogan's d 200 guide and learn more. Joe Smith

"*Autofocus is slow and hunts in dim-lit condition"

Interesting... it doesn't sound to be significantly better than the older AF version then, which is what I have. My 500mm f/4 AF-I on the other hand is quick and accurate in dim light. -Greg-

Thank you all.

@Yaron - "I don't know why users attribute AF performance entirely to the AFS motor". You're right, sometimes reading wrong info from other ppl can lead myself there. AF-S difference is the silence.

Yoni - This lens will be glued to the D200. Its an awesome camera, though I'm tempted on investing on the D2H (used).

1/30s on a tripod? Hmmm, I'm hoping it can do with # of seconds or more on the tripod. BTW, I've also purchased the TC-14e II, and the TC-17e. One of it will be glued to this lens because on the back of it, exposes to the blades - if any of my kids gets the hold of it and pokes around with the chopstick.

ILKKA - The Kirk collar replacement has arrived. It feels much more stable now. Also this requires new tripod head investment, an Arca style that is. Bought a used Gitzo G1276 head from KEH. Damm, the list just goes on.

Shun - As always, great suggestion from you. I was looking at the used 300mm 2.8 AF-I, and AF-S I (used) before purchasing this one. This is the only one which I can only afford buying new, also has $75 rebate. The f2.8 may be on my list, if I get into action/sports photography.

Joe - thanks again, there's tons of stuffs I need read through.

Kiem, except for the tripod collar, the 300mm/f4 AF-S is a fine lens. I myself am a bit puzzled why its AF, while acceptable, is considerably slower than that on the f2.8 version. (Mine is the first AF-S version, purchased in 1998.) Perhaps the AF motor inside the 300mm/f4 is weaker.

The 300mm/f2.8 is also considerably heavier and bigger. It certainly has its pros and cons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...