Would you take your L lens on a bike ride.

chris_thomson

Hello,

I would like some comments as to the durability of Canons gear. I do a lot of

bicycling, often keeping my trusty old Canon F1 and a couple FD primes in a

bag on the rear rack. It rides well if not a little heavy and I can't say I've

ever had any problems with it due to this abuse.

I'm just wondering how well my 20D with a decent lens might travel on a

bicycle. This summer I've got a couple week to 2 week long bike rides planned

and would like to take it along. Currently I own both the 35mm f1.4 and the 24-

105 f4 IS. Would you let either ride on the back of a bicycle. I'm expecting

mostly smooth roads out in the country but you never know what you might end

up with.

Would the prime be the safer bet simply because there are less moving parts.

Or are both built solidly enough that its not an issue. My F1 with its 50mm

1:1.2 L barely costs half the price of one of these lenses.

Incidently, the F1 is still coming along. It's just going to be in my walk

around bag.

Thanks

Chris

The L lenses can take a lot of abuse however I would worry about the vibration loosening things. I would certainly take the lenses (that is what they are there for) but I would put them in some padding that will absorb some of the vibration. Wrapping them in your change of clothes might do the trick.

Um... you must be a very strong cyclist if you carry an F1 with a bunch of primes plus a 20D with an L lens :) If your panniers are big enough and you can wrap the camera and lens into some soft clothing (or make foamrubber wraps for them) and put them away from the sides/edges of the pannier (i.e. deep inside), they should survive without any problems - the padding (and your tires) will soften any hits and vibration from the road (unless you're planning to jump logs :)). I used to ride with my 200/2.8L in a front handlebar bag, wrapped in a foamrubber cylinder, no problems.

Chris,

You have nothing to worry about. While I mainly shoot an H2 now, I have many L lenses and I used to take them everywhere, even mountain biking (which I don't do any more for different reasons).

They are durable and just keep them padded and get a good and comfortable backpack.

I once fell on my 70-200 f2.8 L (non-IS) lens while on a rocky slope and nothing happened. Also dropped the 28-70 f2.8 in the desert from about 4 feet--again, no problems. I don't recommend doing these things, just stating my experiences.

Take them with you and use them, don't worry! Good luck.

dG

Mountain or road biking? I road biked with my 20D and 17-40L plus 70-200 f/4L last December in Portland, Oregon to the Columbia River Gorge with no problems whatsoever. I used a backpack (Lowepro Mini Trekker AW) and the lens did fine (they still work today). Good luck..

"I would like some comments as to the durability of Canons gear."

On a mission to photograph some woodpeckers recently my 600mm f4L, 1.4x extender and 30D fell 6ft from my shoulder to the ground when the release lever of the tripod head caught in my rucksack strap and undid (oops, forgot the locking mechanism).

The 1.4x extender needed a new locking pin and mount, but the 600mm and the 30D were perfectly ok (thank you oh gods of the forest!).

That could have been very expensive, but it seems Canon build their gear tough.

I would certainly recommend some foam padding (or clothes) around the camera, but I think it would be fine.

Every once in a while I ride my motorcycle to my shooting locations instead of taking the car. I put my Eos 1, 85mm f1.2, 135mmf2, 35.. f1.4 and 24-70 zoom (all L) into my crumplerbackpack. The only problem I get is the eyecup coming off my camera body. No problem with lenses. Just make sure the lenses are slotted tight between the padding. It also helps to have a good quality bag/backpack (LowePro, Crumpler, Tamrac...etc.)

FYI, I currently ride a 4 cylinder Jap sportsbike, which is very smooth, but I used to ride a V-twin Ducati between 2002-2005. V-twin motorcycles produce lots of vibrations (think Harleys) but my lenses have always worked fine.

Cheerz!

This weekend, I will try with my Lowepro 70AW. The chest strap should work, so long as I

don't keep kneeing the camera bag up into my chin. Then I can stop and shoot at will.

Otherwise, I can attach it by belt in the small of back position, with shoulder strap in

bandellero style. I think that a body-mounted camera bag takes less shock than one the bike

and in a bag.

Do you have an FS rig?

If the bike has full suspension, and the lense is firmly attached to the rear rack such that it's padded, but can't move at all in the enclosure, then you're fine.

Otherwise, I'd keep camera and lens in a backpack.

DI

The L series are really tough (should be P for pro, rather than L for luxury). Ten years ago I dropped my 70-200 2 metres on to a carpetted floor, and it still works beautifully/flawlessly.

I use a Pelican case for really tough or dirty jobs, and a Crumpler backpack when mobility is important (hot, but comfortable even with a heavy load). For light weight, I take my 1V (minus booster) and 35 1.4L or 135 2L.