What happen to Huw's M2aD project?

panya w.

What was fundamentally wrong was that a bunch of people (and some of them are very keen on bashing Leica at every oportunity they get..) started to equate the project <b>Huw</b> set out for himself: To fit a digital capture module into an existing M-body Leica (with no LCD, etc) to what <b>Leica</b> is doing: Creating a brand new digital rangefinder camera that retains the M-body quality AND adds all the bells and whistles that one can expect to find on a digital model (LCD screen, menues, memory card, etc, etc) and setup a production line, estimate demand, line up vendors, consider firmware upgrades, distribution lines, advertising, support channels, replacement and repairs, etc, etc.

<br><br>

That people started to equate the two was, in my eyes, what led to the sour tone on many of those threads.

"So, Leica will be introducing the M8 Friday; Huw will finish his M2aD God knows when...."

One man working in his basement in his spare time on his own dime is outpaced by a company with a manufacturing facility, dozens of designers, millions in financing, and partnerships with two large corporations. Who would be dumb enough to predict a different outcome?

Wow!

Y'all are thrashing someone for -trying something big- something that not a one of you could ever begin to pull off. You'd probably not make it past the concept stage, much less actually build something with your own hands. And Huw hasn't even failed yet - at least let him fail before you skewer him. No wonder the world is full of souls too timid to try anything outside of the box.

Give him a break! His idea for a B&W only simple digital Leica is wonderful anyway I figure it.

I wish Huw all the luck in the world as his design is much closer to what I want in a digital M. I wish Leica would build something similar, although I am not holding my breath because I don't think the demand is there. I do have enough embedded product design that I could follow Huw's lead and perhaps build my own. Currently I have the same problem that I'm working 60-70 hour weeks. I have not even taken a pic in about three weeks...rats! Jim

Hey Mike, I don't think Huw was "thrashed" but I also think a few of these folks underestimate his talent.

<P>

<I>"I think he sold it for a beer at the local pub - which is probably just about what it was worth.</I>

<P>

<I>"Huw is smart, but making a good work digital camera need lots of expert in different field. good try, but failure is ..."</I>