Mamiya super 23 Digital Back

paolo de faveri

Hello all,

is there anyone knowing something about some kind of digital back for my Mamiya

super 23? I read somewhere in the forum an old post about that, but I had not

from that post a clear idea. Do someone know about a digital back someho

fittable to the 6x9 back of this camera?

Thanks iun advance for your suggestion.

Paolo, Turin, Italy

Paolo,<br>

That's a problem for all discontinued cameras.<br>

Generally speaking, adaptators doesn't exist for these cameras, even if the silver film format is the same than other actual cameras.<br>

The first problem is the format : most digital backs are for 6x7 or 6x6 cameras. Some other ones are for large format cameras in 4x5" format.<br>

One exists for the Linhof M679 camera, which is in 6x9 format. But I sincerely doubt that this adapter will be adaptable to your - I suppose beloved - Super 23.<br>

Another problem is the correct flange focal distance, i.e. the distance between the lens and the film surface, or the sensor.<br>

I tried to find some digital backs for other cameras, and unfortunately, they don't exist.<br>

Could you please give me the reference of this thread. I would be very interested to read it.<br>

Thanks<br>

Jean-Louis<br>

Jean-Louis,

Thank you very much for your answer. Indeed I thought it was not an esay task. It's really a pity anyway, because the lenses I got (65 and 100) are superb, and it would have been nice to test them on the new media. Well, I think the time for me to jump to a fully digital camera - even if this will not mean abandoning film is getting closer and closer.

Here's the thread I mentioned in my previous post:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00620N&tag=

Paolo

I go further : <ol>

<li>If a "G" adapter is attached instead of the "M" adapter on a Mamiya Universal, a roll film holder for Mamiya RB can be used.

<li>If I am not wrong, the "G" adapter can also be mounted on a Mamiya Super 23. And all accessories with Graflok fixation can be used too.<br>

That's a first step.<br>

<li>Many digital backs can be mounted on the RB67 Pro S and SD.</ol>

The Hasselblad ixpress .pdf data sheet says :<br>

<i>Camera support : Hasselblad H system and V system, Rollei 600X and AF, Contax 645AF, Mamiya 645 Pro, 645 AFD, RB and RZ67, Fuji GX680I/II/III.</i><br>

They say "RB and RZ67", nothing else. But if Mamiya produce "D" versions of their cameras (645AFD, RZ67 Pro IID...) there is probably a reason.<br>

And don't forget several other problems, like the quality of your lenses with a digital back, the link between the back and the camera...<br>

It would be necessary to try the results before buying anything. A digital back is a bit more expensive than a 120 roll-film. ;>)) <br>

On the same documentation, they write :<br>

<i>The Ixpress back attaches to almost all medium-format and large-format camera bodies using <u>an interchangeable adapter plate</u>.<br>

That means you can shoot digitally with your cameras using the same back. You can attach any i-Adapter to your camera back using just four screws.<br>

i-Adapters are available for a wide variety of camera bodies, including both standard and autofocus models.</i><p>

But all that seems too simple. Try to find informations about these i-adapters.<br>

Last, Sinar Eyelike Precision M11 Digital Back have an adapter for RB cameras. But the problem is the same between "D" and "non-D" cameras.<p>

As a matter of conclusion, I think that the Super 23 is rather old, and a digital back is very expensive. If you only have 2 lenses and a body, it might be better either to buy a digital camera, or to buy a modern MF camera, like a Hasselblad, a Mamiya or a Rollei.<br>

If you are really "in love" with your Mamiya, you can buy a good scanner (much less expensive than a digital back, adapter etc.) and scan your negs.<br>

• 9 months later...