New Zeiss ZV lenses

shoebox

Canon User,<br><br>The Synchro-Compur shutters were made by Deckel, and Deckel (a Zeiss company) closed shop a few decades ago. So another firm, Gauthier (also part of the Zeiss conglomerate) has made all (Prontor) shutters in V-Series lenses since then. The shutters in the ZV lenses will be from Gauthier too.<br><br>Rob F,<br><br>The optical formula of the 50 mm Distagon is clearly the same as that of the FLE CF/CFi lens. The lack of a FLE-ring will probably signify that the lens's virtual FLE-ring is permanently set to infinity. I don't think they have linked FLE to focusing ring internally. Note that they do not say it is an FLE lens.<br>The word "Classic" describes the metal finish.

With the seemingly secretive status os ZV lenses, I'm wondering if the suggestion that they will be in silver indicates they may be planned to be a choice for H camera users who are keen to get Zeiss glass.

With the adapter available, silver Zeis lenses may just look the job on an H1 or H2!?

Well, who knows and time will tell. Anyway I'm happy with my CF kit and expect to be for a very long time yet!

Yes, it looks as if Zeiss either deliberately or accidentaly made these pages live too soon. So, here's the rub - everything depends on price. As these are not Hasselblad Sweden lenses, but Zeiss lenses that are made to fit V-series Hasselblads, Zeiss could price them significantly below the existing CF lenses. Particularly if some components are outsourced from Cosina, say (in the same way that Zeiss ZM lenses are a lot cheaper than the Leica equivalents). That would really put the cat among the pigeons, as Hasselblad AB are doubtless sitting on large stocks of CF lenses. If the Zeiss Classic ZV 50mm Distagon turns out to be half the price of the current FLE, which would you buy?

John

John,

That depends upon the contractual relationship between Zeiss and Hasselblad, which I am not privy to. Zeiss may or may not be able to undercut the big H. It all depends upon what contractual relationship they have. Perhaps a contract has expired, and Zeiss can do what ever it wants? Pure speculation on my part. It will be interesting to see what happens.

As a 203FE, 205TCC camera body user, what I would really like is for Zeiss to upgrade some of their CFI lenses to CFE. The 50 F4 and the 100mm would be great choices. I suppose the chances for this are zero but who would have thought these new ZV lenses were on the drawing board!

Hi guys,

what you mean, Rollei is very small? Watch, the brand new ROLLEI MF-camera at the Photokina! And, by the way, Hasselblad in Sweden is NOT bigger anymore, than ROLLEI in Braunschweig! The H1 and H2 are FUJI made cameras and only the name tag is from Hasselblad. Believe me, Mr. Victor Hasselblad, would turn arround in his grave, if he would be known what happens with his factory and camera systems!

Regards

It has struck me that because these new classic lenses are specifically 50, 120 and 180mm focal lengths, Zeiss' logic may be to offer "silver" Hassy lens owners the chance to add the "new" optical formulae not introduced until the CF range was released - 50, 120, and 180mm lenses! Too much of a coincidence?

• 2 weeks later...
QG, you took the words right out of my mouth - CF saw some redesigns and CFi/E saw no optical formulae changes. The 180mm was all new in CF. So as I said earlier I think this logically is a key part of the release of "new old" lenses to help get classic Hassy owners to dig into their pockets.