months I have noticed a similar pattern. And its a pattern that leads me to

suspect the activity of bots.

A short time ago I posted a photo for critique and got five ratings faster than

seems humanly possible. In fact I think it actually WAS faster than is humanly

possible. It took no more than 3 to 4 seconds from the time of submission until

I checked the details. It was not even showing up on the critique page yet but

it had garnered five ratings none the less. I am not complaining about the

numerical value of the ratings. I just have grave doubts any of them were given

by live human beings. Thats too many responses in too short a time frame.

Am I just getting paranoid in my old age? Thats entirely possible I suppose,

but I think its more likely someone is still trying to game the system.

Anthony

The views are compiled once daily, while the rates are compiled quite promptly, so your numbers do not make any meaningful argument for anything at all. Watch for a change in the viewership numbers in the morning Eastern Time. Brian once announced the time to expect the previous day's viewership (served views) numbers, but in my recent experience, they haven't arrived on his announced schedule, but perhaps I'm not watching so carefully, and so what if there's an hour or two's difference. Also, sometimes a few views will show up haphazardly ahead of the main view totals for reasons that I do not comprehend, but they mean essentially nothing.

Summary: Your numbers do not make any point at all, if one is familiar with the system and the 'rules' as announced by the Administration, but they are not always so easily findable, and posts indicating bewilderment such as yours are quite common.

John (Crosley)

Convinced that there was a 3/3 bot chawing away out there, for a few days I kept track of what percentage of my 3/3's were received in the first 10 minutes of the first 48 hours of a post. I reluctantly concluded that early 3/3's were sporadic at best and that there was a more positive correlation with the quality of the image. Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind at any moment! In my case, I think that some of the images I post recall a particularly fond moment in my travels but once submitted to the scrutiny of PN raters, I see the technical and creative deficiencies.

Accounts such as the one Alexandre has highlighted were considered to be abusive at one time on this site and were eventually removed by the administration when brought to their attention. The exclusive rating of a single photographer's work solely with double sevens, and leaving rather inane comments as well, is not how the Critique Forum was originally designed to operate. My intent is not that the recipient photograper is undeserving of praise and high ratings, for I think she is. But that one account sure seems suspicious to me. Regards.

I've seen simular cases as Alexandre has pointed out, even with 6-8 accounts created solely to rate one photographer's work 7/7. He was caught recently and his account and his bot accounts were banned. Too bad we can't do the same in the World Cup. Maybe us Americans could win a game. LOL

Seems to be some confusion here. A bot is a digital software program that runs independently after being started and a phony account is setup and operated by a analog Homo sapien though perhaps some of the 3/3's came from some Homo erectus types. They always want to stand up and be counted.

Well, I would say, at the very least, that surely there is something fishy about an account that only rates one other photographer's work. Maybe one of the admins will read this thread and look into the situation. The system is a game whether someone is gaming it or not.

Here is another example of a non-paying participant who only doles out 7/7's to one member.

http://www.photo.net/shared/community-member?user_id=2170862

The object of his affections is a decent, dare I say very good, photographer but 7/7 angels for specific photographers seem contrary to the spirit of the site.

In a post above from yesterday, I wrote that I could not find any clear evidence that there is currently a bot spitting out 3/3. Right after I posted the message, I posted four new photos and collected 12 3/3's in short order. My new theory is that there is a bot that scans all the community forum posts. If you mention the dirty 3/3 word in a post then the bot goes to your page an doles out some 3/3's to your most recent posts! Remember, it is not paranoia if it is really happening :)

As far as giving more attention to one or two photographers goes, I think that we are all guilty of that to one degree or another. I personally tend to make a point of regularly visiting the galleries of those who have given me helpful feedback in the past. Then, if I have time, I will check out the critique forum. I make a point to rate as little as possible because numbers are a waste of time to me, but it is easier to see a large variety of work in the ratings forum than in the critiques only forum. There are those who care about numbers and those who don't. The difference is, to some of us this is not a contest and we are just here to learn as much as we can.

• 1 month later...
In reply to those of you complaining of bots. Naturally I noticed the high rates, but figured the person liked my work. After reading these comments I e-mailed the person asking him/her to enjoy my work, but please not rate it. Comments would be appreciated more. Hopefully the message was taken kindly as I dont want to offend anyone. Sondra Kicklighter

In reply to those of you complaining of bots. Naturally I noticed the high rates, but figured the person liked my work. After reading these comments I e-mailed the person asking him/her to enjoy my work, but please not rate it. Comments would be appreciated more. Hopefully the message was taken kindly as I don't want to offend anyone. Sondra Kicklighter