How much should I be paid as a freelancer for newspaper?

I have been asked to freelance for the Erie Times in Erie, PA. This is their

deal, they want to pay me 25 dollars for each photo they choose to use, even if

that photo ends up on the cover of some of the magazines in this area that may

be affiliated with them. That includes exclusive rights to them. Basically,

they want me to sign a work for hire contract, and I'm thinking "Is this the way

photographers work for newspapers"? For squat money and no rights to the images?

I mean jeez, 25 bucks hardly covers gas these days, and I spend several hours

going out to an event for them, with great equipment, dump the images into CS2

and then send them FTP to the Times.

I'm wondering what other newspaper photo freelancers work for? How much do you

ask per image? And, do you give the newspaper exclusive rights, or do you keep

the rights? Do you sign a work for hire, or is that something to STAY AWAY from?

I'm very new to this part of the business, and I need some help and advice so I

don't get taken. Please help me out if you can!

Thanks. -Rach

Rachel, I see from your Bio that you live in North Carolina. I can see why you think that $25 will not cover the cost of Gas. I think that is a pretty low price for a assignment. Do you have to generate the assignment or does the paper do that? Will they will be having you shoot several assignments a day or one a month? Do you have the experience to ask for more money or do you not? Will they be paying your mileage or will you have to cover that. These are all questions that only you can answer. At our paper we have hired photographers who started out working on a freelance basis ,proved themselves and were hired on a part or full time basis. This might be a way to get your foot into the door of a profession that is not that easy to gain access.If the answer to my previous question is that they want to use you once a month, this would not be a very good deal for you. If you already have a job photographing Children , and can do this on the side, this would just be gravy for you. There are many decisions you have to make , I wish you luck.

Is this the Erie Times News that has a daily circulation of 70k and a Sunday circulation at close to 100k? If so, that's absolutely disgraceful that they would pay $25. It's not uncommon for a weekly paper with a circulation of under 10,000 to pay something like that, they don't have the ad revenue, but I've never heard of such a thing for a paper that big. Also forget about work for hire contracts. This deal sounds absolutely terrible and not worth your time. You'll be losing money on the job.

I'm acttually in PA now, and I still do children and families, but editorial work has always excited me. It's just that originally they told me 25 per photo, per time they used it. Now they just want to pay me 25 and own the rights as well.

I do have experience in PJ, but I am only making about 325 a month just from this paper. They have me going out about twice a week, no gas mileage, about 20 miles from where I live each time. I'm paying for everything, and they pay me 25 bucks.

Do you think it's a possibility they will offer me something full time? If so, don't most full time spots at a paper only make 1,200 a week.

I guess it would be my desire to not sign the work for hire contract, but I'm afraid they'll drop me if I don't. I'd like the ability to sell and work with the images I get, however, the job does open a lot of other doors for me. For instance, went to shoot a bar last week, then the owner hired me to do shots of his entrees for menu's and his website.

Just trying to figure out what other PJ's make and if they sign work for hires, or own their own rights. It seems like a hard business.

Rachel, I've been freelancing for 6 years and it is my one and only full time job. I have turned down three offers at newspapers due to the fact that they either pay poorly (somewhere in the mid 20's for annual salary), or their schedules are terrible (3-11pm nights and weekends with no possibility of rotation). As a freelancer I earn more money, I never have to work really late nights and I can take a day off when needed and I miss out on most of the office politics. I also spend a great deal of time working from home. However the downside is, it's highly competitive, there's no room for screw ups because there are so many of us and your client will go elsewhere if you can't perform, and sometimes you have to "take one for the team" and do some really crappy jobs that a staff photographer would never do. Either way, staff or freelance, I think you should look to building a bigger client base, get out there and freelance for other papers in the area as well. This will lead to more on the side jobs like the bar owner hiring you. This will also get your name out. Freelance for the big papers on Saturday so your stuff gets published on the biggest day of the week, Sunday. You may be able to "double dip" on assignments if your freelancing for more than one paper or organization at a time that are not in a competing market. I do it occasionally, shooting one event for two different clients. Both clients are aware and have no problem with it as long as I give them each good stuff and different stuff. Make sure both clients know if you are double dipping and they are ok with it. You'll find it's a very small world out there and if you burn one bridge you might as well burn the whole town down. You have to keep everyone happy, maintain loyalty and make a living. Also join sportsshooter.com. Although I love photo.net, sportsshooter is really tailored to our business more than any site out there. I get work through my member page a few times a year that more than pays for the membership. It's also a great resource to meet other photographers in your field who live in PA. You need a sponsor to join, contact me via email if you're interested.

John, I mentioned in my first reply..."forget about work for hire contracts. This deal sounds absolutely terrible and not worth your time. You'll be losing money on the job." I don't know a single person who makes a living full time as a photojournalist without any other job or person supporting them who has a work for hire contract.

Thank you everyone, and thank you Jessica. I will contact you to sponsor me for the other site.

Yes, this paper is the big one you speak of, they have a big circulation. The thing is, I started @ a magazine affiliated with the times that has a small circulation, and then they asked me to do another magazine the Times is upstarting because I do good work. They are both affiliated with the Times, and I'm just thinking WFH sucks on this. (I'm a 29 yr old, single mom of two, and I work hard.) They literally owe me money now, they keep printing photos I did without paying me for them. I have not signed a WFH yet, and they seem pretty blase about copyright and useage laws.

Like I said, I have not been hired specifically to run a photo in the Times News...it's for their magazines. Yet, they have taken an image of mine that ran on a cover of one of their mags, and ran a half page ad in the newspaper with my cover photo in color, and did not pay me or get my permission to do so.

What kind of pay should I be expecting for something like this? Perhaps I'll check out the other site, but I'd like to know what everyone thinks I should be getting paid, and what I should try to negotiate for. THANKS!! They want me to sign a WFH soon, and I want to go in and say no thanks, but here is what I can do for you.

Wanted to say one more thing. I do want to freelance and not be a staff photographer, but as a freelancer (maybe Jessica can answer this) what should a 70,000 (circulation) a day business/paper be paying their freelancers.

Also, I just photographed a classic car show as a freelancer for a Times magazine. Would it have been ethical to not only shoot for the Times, but to have passed out my card to those car owners that may have wanted a pic of them with their car? They could then go online and buy a small 5x7 or something. I just want to see if other PJ shooters do things like that.

A freelancer, yeah, pass out your cards and drum up all the business you can. Before I took my staff job, I always did that.

When I freelanced for a smaller paper (30k weekly roughly) I got 25 bucks Canadian per photo, plus mileage. It was a lucrative position for a student, since I had income from a part-time job, but I'm guessing a parent, 20 bucks won't do it.

On the other hand, working for less can be lucrative, because when full-time work comes available, you're usually first on their list.

If I understand what you are saying, they have already published your pictures and not paid you for them? That is inexcusable.

My paper frequently publishes submitted pictures for which no pay is offered but that is known up-front.

Sadly the newspaper business is woefully underpaid. Photographers especially. I am a staffer and am paid by the hour. I am technically "part time" but I can work as many hours as I like for all intent and purpose. This leaves me time for my own photo business which is going just fine.

The thing is that being a newspaper photographer gives me several serious benefits that I would not have as a freelancer. I have a press pass. (Make sure they give you one of these) This is a really big deal. For Example I can photograph college football games from the sidelines which is not possible for the average freelancer. Like you, I meet potential clients at the events I cover. It would be hard to replace that kind of networking opportunity. And the paper gives me credibility. People tend to take the press seriously. Freelancers not so much. Try showing up at a major social event and getting past security without the press pass.

One caveat is important here. The rules governing model releases are much different for the newspaper photographer than for the commercial or freelance photographer. You may take a picture for the paper that is pure dynomite. It may be the front page of the NYT. To sell that picture for commercial purposes may be a whole different story. I have never asked for a model release when working for the paper. And never would. In my own business I get them all of the time.

Let me ask you this. Would you drive an hour and pay $25.00 to get to hob-nob with everyone at a society wedding or kindergarden graduation? For the opportunity to network at a major political party event or celebrity bash? To be able to show the work you have done at these events really fills out your portfolio. And they pay you, albeit not much, and find these gigs for you. The paper should expect you to network at these events as they already define you as a freelancer. Descreetly of course.

All of this has to be considered when deciding if your pay is too little.

My opinion is that you should be paid mileage of course. But it is deductable anyway. Think of it this way. If you spend two hours on a project, that is $12.50 an hour. Not much but a bunch more than many people are paid. I think it is too little but it is not at all uncommon. So many aspiring press photographers are willing to work for nearly nothing that they can get away with this pay. Condiser though. $12.50 an hour equates to $26K per year, give or take. I would suspect that this is about what a newby full timer makes at your paper.

You can expect the paper to want to own the photos they purchase. They pretty much have to. I would not worry about that aspect too much. After all. How many of them can you 'really' expect to sell anyway. You will rarely get a paper to allow you to sell the ones they publish to the competition. They want to do that. If they are paying you by the picture I would maintain that you own all of the others. What does the agreement say?

Unless you want to do it full time for a big paper I think you have to look at the big picture and weigh the poor pay against the opportunities it offers. If you ever aspire to a full time big paper job you will find that your portfolio of published images puts you WAY ahead of your competition.

Rachel, You need to get paid. Have you filed a W-9 with them yet? Even for one time only side jobs I do, one needs to be filled out in order to be paid. I did forget to mention in my email to you that quarterly taxes can be brutal. However be sure to log your mileage. The IRS mileage deduction is one of the biggest writeoffs I have annually. Also the home office...but see an accountant for that stuff! Speaking from my own experience, having a press pass doesn't carry much weight, and yes you can get them from your clients as a freelancer. I have a few of those plastic cards with my face on it kicking around somewhere. What is important is getting credentialed for an event through a legitimate publication or wire service as a freelancer. I know freelancers who shoot MLB and NCAA Div I sports all the time, myself included. I'm credentialed for an entire season - yes as a freelancer. So yeah I can stand right next to the staffers on the field : ). Geeze sounds like a tough predicament with your published photos. Now that it's after the fact and published, you know. With my clients I have set rates for assignments, however, when they call with something out of the ordinary...Sunday front page photo essay, a long day of shooting, or something really far away from home, before I say yes, we talk money. Sometimes it works out, other times, I have have to respectfully decline the job. Sometimes it's as simple as, can I put in for two assignments? Sounds like you need to talk to the photo editor. Develop a relationship with him/her as if you were an employee. Talk to him/her about your stuff that has been published and find out if the rates they have set forth are set in stone or have room for occasional negotiation. You both need each other so it's important you're both happy. Rick's idea about owning the unpublished images is great and a potential money maker. Say you're shooting a little league game for your paper, pass out some cards, put some thumbnails of your outtakes not given to the paper on a website and sell them to parents. If it's not in that god awful WFH contract, do it.

Let me clarify what I was talking about when I mentioned the Press Pass. Jessica is quite right when she says they are not worth much on their own though they are better than just showing up with your hat out. I should have elaborated.

Perhaps you can negotiate a "deal" with your photo editor. He/she credentials you for events you want to cover even if they would otherwise not pay for coverage. Then. If they like your work they may buy it as wild art. If not you have access to events that many a freelancer would love to have. And you can sell the images the paper doesn't take. (Check with the rules at the venue.)

I work along side of many credentialed freelancers for sure. But the arrangement above puts you partially in control of your opportunities. You have to be careful and not assure those you photograph that they will be in the paper but that is always the case anyway.

Have a casual talk with the society editor. Tell them that you are willing to cover important social events whether they buy the photos or not and then you can have the opportunity to network with the movers and shakers in your area.

I would also speak with the advertising sales people too. They might be able to turn you on to some work. They all ought to have a pocket full of your cards.

I'm not at all happy with the arrangement you have been offered. I am only trying to find a way that it can benefit you if you can't cut a better deal.

Prospecting is the hardest part of selling and maintaining a successful photography business. I think there may be a fit here if you can position yourself to benefit from this relationship.

Let's see if I can back peddle, and explain exactly what happened. I am new to this area and starting a business all over again. I have worked for magazines before, and I always talk money and sign contracts first.

With this though things happened a little differently. I wrote to the editor of a magazine affiliated with the Times because it's a new venture, and the editor thought my portfolio was strong and gave me several assignments right off the bat. He is very young though, the editor, and very laid back. We have a good repore (almost the same age..in our twenties), and so I laxed on this. Basically we verbally agreed that every time an image was run in print or on the web, I get 25 bucks per image, per time it is run.

He and I are great. No problems at all. But, this is where it gets confusing. The Times owns this magazine, and they supposedly hire freelancers at that same rate 25 bucks per image, but it's a one time deal and then the Times owns the rights to the image. So, the Times assumed the magazine editor gave me this deal too, because he was supposed to, but too new to understand that that's what is typically done. So, the Times newspaper, thinking I signed my rights to them via the magazine editor, printed a half page ad of one of my images in color all week last week.

I then told the mag. editor to get paid for the photo run all week, and he told me to go above him and talk to the special projects editor at the Times newspaper. She basically said, I would no longer work for them unless I signed a contract saying 25 bucks and then full rights are theirs to the images they choose, I keep the rights to the rest, they don't pay miles, etc. She said the magazine editor messed up and should have made me sign the contract. So, yes I did sign the w-9, but now I'm in a predicament,...

I'm thinking I may just try to re-negotiate the 25 dollar deal to maybe 35-40 dollars, then they own the image to the ones they choose, I own the rest of them. What do you think?

Rachel, $25 per picture is an absolute joke. Newspapers are getting desperate these days at keeping costs down. A fair rate would be $150 for half day (minimum charge for any assignment regardless of time involved) or $250 for a full day. $25 a photo!? Geez! Send this to the guy who writes for digitaljournalist.org and let him exposure them in his good/bad column.

Rachel,

This is disgraceful. Day rates for freelancers have not changed all that much since 1993. A typical rate is anywhere from $225.00 to $300.00 a day plus mileage and parking. Often times a paper will pay the full rate even if it is half a day. I sometimes ask for this also. These rates are not that much money for a freelancer. I have sold stock images for as low as $50.00 when I first started but I now ask for $200.00 for an image which is the going rate. You need to be paid for your time. Once the assignment is completed a photographer spends time captioning and editing. Editors don't take that in to consideration.

Dayton. In a perfect world we would all get that kind of money. But I gotta tell you that there are very few Photo editors earning $1000 per week not to mention freelance news photographers. As they say, in the real world it just ain't like that.

I charge something more than the numbers you propose for freelance work but I know of no local paper willing to pay that. I got something more than that for the cover of the Christian Science Monitor but it has 1.7 million unique visitors to its web site alone.

As to the take it or leave it attitude of the newspaper Rachel, if they are going to be that arrogant I wouldn't blame you for running as fast as you can. It sounds like they are not very professional. Maybe have a word with the publisher. What are they going to do, cut your pay?

Well, you can try to renegotiate your pay-per-photo, but it probably won't go all that well. If you have a really good publisher, maybe you'll get an increase, but don't forget their are 50 more people who would work for that same 25 bucks or less to get their foot in the door at a news paper.

Send them an invoice for the image they used, demanding payment on reciept. You have a legal binding contract (verbal). If they don't pay, go to small claims court and file on them. You can get damages. They will not be able to prove that they have the rights to use your image without paying.

I would not sign a contract with them UNLESS you retain all the rights and give them one-time useage rights. The more rights you give up, the higher the amount they should pay you. Get a lawyer! Better yet, find a better client.

Remember this, there is NO such thing as a standard contract. Everything is negotiable. I re-write contracts all the time and toss out things I don't like. They need the pictures. You need to get paid. If they won't negotiate, walk.

Get a lawyer that deals with copyright matters. It will be the best money you spend.

Day rate $150 - $300 for Getty Images, AP, Reuters, et al. You can make more than a staffer, work when you want, and not even have to edit your images. Getting paid per use is abslutely ridiculous. You should get paid for the shoot. I would try to find work with an established wire service rather than a newspaper if you want to support yourself and your equipment needs with freelance editorial shooting alone.

Keith

On the counter side there are some of us folks who attend the local High School basketball games as regulars, and shoot images for the school and parents. Emailing a few shots to the newspaper and getting 25 bucks is gravy, like printing money. Since we already are there and shooting, the only troubkle is to download and email before presstime. The teenage girl does this next door for her highschool. One photo pays more than 4 hours at Mcdonalds, they have a computer in the gymn by the scorekeeper, there is NO gasoline costs becuase they are already there anyway. The kids know the players names, their positions. A high school kid maybe a more effective shooter too.

• 1 month later...

I really feel for you! I've been published in a magazine and will NEVER do it again, its just

plain rude to get paid $30 for a picture when you are standing on a beach with $27 grand

worth of gear!

Fortunately now I get paid to shoot an event (surf comp photography) also petrol, and a

daily rate to do what I love!

Magazines are just insulting with what they will pay! Problem is to much supply and not

enough demand, if you don't say thanks to a $25 picture, the next guy will, and that is the

guy they want!

Get paid to do the shoot, not for a picture they want to use!

Luke

• 4 weeks later...

I am trying to get my foot in the door. I've been doing stringer work for a small town

newspaper (but its part of a group of two other towns, and my shots may run in any). i am

getting $25 per shoot plus .32 a mile. i make more money as a second shooter at

weddings but thats low two. but i'll tell you I've learned so much in the last two months

than months of reading books. pressure has a way of doing that i guess. when their staffer

went on vacation, they asked me to fill in for a week @ $80 a day plus mileage.

but the $25 deal is so far under minimum wage it crazy. some on this thread said

somthing like $12.50 an hour all year would would = some amount. but its not $12.50 an

hour you got the time getting gear ready, driving, shooting and post production. granted

the better you get the faster you get these thing done. and the paper should'nt have to pay

for our lack of experience. not to mention that even if it was $12.50 an hour, your not

getting 40 hours a week.

all that said i'll take that money for a while so i can gain experience, confidence,

reputation and very slowly some coin for some new glass (at $25.00 a pop $1,700.00 is a

long ways away). not to mention when i botch a job no one gets too mad.

I dont mind working for free (if i can), for a few weeks as a test. and have offered to do so

many times. (though they always paid me somthing anyway). the hard part is to know

when you should get better pay. and as long as there is guys like me lining up to do it for

a while there wont be a reason to offer more.