I shudder when the skin in photos looks like this.

michael foy

So I did some tests with and without flash. And was shooting iso 400 1/250

5.6 on a D1X with SB800.

I really need to get a handle on what causes noise. I'm thinking the iso 400

played a small part. I could have lowered the iso easily enough. I'm leaning

toward underexposure being the main cause of my noise. Would love to hear

opinions on what I might have been doing wrong. Right now I believe I metered

incorrectly. I believe that had I metered for the skin I would have greatly

reduced noise. In the image the skin is dark and that is creating my noise yes?

No flash image attached.<div>00H45T-30797784.thumb.jpg.98e36e2f5971821cbdeef3f78b624544.jpg</div>

Nuts. Forgot to mention this is the full size of the image with the sides cropped off. No stretching etc was done. Actually not one single bit of post processing on these images. No in camera sharpening. No curves adjust. No processing.

Attachment here is the flashed image TTL BL -2 flash comp. Same other settings from first post.

My concern here again is noise. Even with the flash I'm seeing quite a bit. I guess my thought was that noise would be reduced when a flash is used to get the exposure up?<div>00H45i-30797884.thumb.jpg.111f3996cbb6647f10d6518781fedc6b.jpg</div>

Partial answer: both images are underexposed. Underexposure results in more noise as there is more noise in darker tones. This will be more obvious when trying to fix an underexposed image but pushing the noisy areas up in value.

The shot with fill is better, but probably could use another 1/2 stop of fill. It doesn't look all that noisy to me. I'd start with straight TTL (no BL) and -1 EV fill. [Getting the flash off of the camera is another topic.]

The color balance looks a little cyan to me (I'm just eyeballing it). Cyan is not a good skin color -- better to err to the red side. Are you using auto-WB? If so, try daylight or flash WB.

Underexposed, yes, and all the light on your subject is also heavily filtered through green leaves. It's like you have a green filter on your lens. Do a custom WB, use flash properly, or get out from under the green... t

Don't think it is a Nikon problem and I feel like the others that it is underexposed about 1 stop or more and soft. I'm not saying that Canon is better or Nikon is better. In fact my photo partner uses Canon gear and meters everything. Based on the shade it looks like pretty dark. We often use a hand held meter in situations like this because both Canon and Nikon systems can be fooled. If you have a hand held meter, meter off of the brighter side of the face. Then check it using a fill flash, probably have to increase about a 1/2 stop on TTL. Hope this helps. Also, was this shot in RAW? The latitude is greater in RAW.

Overall underexposure. If you look at the shadows the fill ratio looks about right; increasing the fill will make them more obvious. As someone mentioned, custom white balance is definitely needed, too. The improved colour might be ALL that's needed, but I suspect a half stop overall should do it. Meter off the palm of your hand and add a stop and see how that compares.

Thanks for all the answers. And yes this was shot RAW with auto WB. All the suggestions helped and lead me to believe that it is indeed mostly an underexposure problem for the noise. I am a little disconcerted about the camera makers claim of latitude when shooting raw. I should have the latitude to easily correct the exposure, but I think it will still look noisy even if I lighten it up. Does this sound true? Hypothesis: that once you have noise it won't go away.Chris I think you were saying this too? I will work on the post process and see how much I can improve the flashed image. I will try and post it later this week to see if the noise is less obvious.

Chris what was the thought process to determine to use TTL over BL?

Tom elaborate on your suggestion to use flash properly please as your advise would be appreciated?

Michael

<i>I am a little disconcerted about the camera makers claim of latitude when shooting raw</i>"... You shouldn't be. A negative or trans with this degree of exposure error would be just as bad, or worse. Learn how to use the spot meter in your D1x. Learn how to use Custom WB. As for proper use of the flash for this type of photo... get your flash off the camera and into some kind of modifier, even if it's just a little 30" umbrella. See www.strobist.blogspot.com for comprehensive info about how to accomplish this... t

Once you have noise, it won't go away by itself. When one tries to repair an underexposed image, it usually means that the inherent noise becomes more visible in the process. There are a number of plug-ins that can be used to reduce noise after the fact.

As to 'BL,' AFAIK it adds a variable, and unknown (~-0.7 EV), amount of flash compensation into the mix. For various reasons -- including portraits, repeatability, and using flash as key -- turn off BL.

Well there is a lot of good info here. I went ahead and reworked the raw. Have adjusted the curves. Added 1/3 stop exposure. And sharpened. I don't notice much reduction in the noise.

I agree the eyes/face must be slightly out of focus. Model was walking between camera and prop fence between shots and the focus was on manual so there was some variation on distance for subject to camera each time he posed. Maybe 1 to 4 inches. Enough to be out of focus.

The one attached here is another in the same test series. It had one full extra stop of light dialed in to the flash. My thought was that when I reviewed it I would see less noise. Since it was not under exposed. But honestly I don't see much of a reduction in noise.

I guess then iso 400 may be more of a factor in the noise than I thought?