Canon 400D(Rebel Xti) vs Nikon D80 : body sizes / viewfinders

yann_r.

Hi there,

<p align="justify">

Please consider me as a great newbie who's planning to buy a DSLR equipment and

who isn't prejudiced neither against Canon nor Nikon.

<p align="justify">

Is there any *technical* reasons explaining the difference (quite a big one) of

body sizes between the Canon EOS-400D/Rebel Xti et the Nikon D80?<br>

Well, my question should be: Does this difference comes (in part) from the

viewfinders? If it is, is the D80 better than the 400D/Rebel Xti's one?<p>

I can read on some reviews:

<p align="justify">

<u>D80 viewfinder</u><br>

<ul>

<li>Fixed eye-level pentaprism</li>

<li>Built-in diopter adjustment (-2.0 to +1.0 m-1)</li>

<li>Eyepoint: 19.5 mm (at -1.0 m-1)</li>

<li>Frame coverage 95% (approx.)</li>

<li>Viewfinder magnification approx. 0.94x with 50mm lens at infinity; -1.0 m-1</li>

<li> Focusing screen: Type B BriteView clear matte screen Mark II with

superimposed focus brackets and On-Demand grid lines</li>

</ul>

</p>

<p align="justify">

<u>400D/Rebel Xti viewfinder</u><br>

<ul>

<li>Pentamirror</li>

<li>95% frame coverage</li>

<li>Magnification: 0.8x (-1 diopter with 50 mm lens at infinity)</li>

<li>Eyepoint: 21 mm</li>

<li>Dioptric adjustment: -3.0 to +1.0 diopter</li>

<li>Fixed laser matte screen</li>

<li>Proximity sensor disables LCD shooting mode information</li>

</ul>

</p>

<p align="justify">Thanks in advance for your time.</p>

"Does this difference comes (in part) from the viewfinders?"

To some extent , Yes. But ultimately, it is the sensor which dictates more, about which is superior.

Only time will tell which one is better, as there is no production review of the 400d yet.

<i>Only time will tell which one is better, as there is no production review of the 400d yet.</i><br>

Yes, of course... that's obvious. Because the same difference (regarding viewfinder and size) exists between the 350D(Rebel Xt) and the D70s, is anyhow a technical reason possible?

I think the d80 has bigger VF than the d70s, and the xti has same VF as xt.

But VF size dont put much weight in my decision between the two ,personally. I chose the 350d over d70s because of the Canon lens and the Canon cmos sensor is said to produce cleaner image.

Yann, if you're going to be starting with a limited set of glass (ie nothing too fast), then I'd recommend the Canon body, but purely for it's superior high ISO image quality. The 350/XT is likely to have marignally better high ISO capability than the 400/XTi due to it's larger photosites - but the 400/XTi will still outperform the D80 in terms of noise.

From an ergonmics standpoint I'd hazard that the Nikon may probably win out over the Canon - but I'm a Canon shooter so would go for Canon anyhow.

Think long term about the system you're likely to build, and inspect the glass that's available for either manufacturer, comparing costs and features.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Thank you all : )<p align="justify">

First at all, my "favorite" brand had been Canon -<i> so to speak, this choice was only based on the way I was looking enviously at f/4 L series</i> LOL - but the new Nikon D80, Sony A100 and the last Pentax K10D -<i> it looks good!</i> - are making the choice even more difficult.<p align="justify">

Mars (I guess that's your firstname), even if I'd prefer to use a sensor able to produce cleaner images (like Canon's), I think that can be nice to use a clear viewfinder. Lately, I used a borrowed KM 5D, this camera seems to have a quite clear pentaprism type viewfinder and well, I find it a bit small. I nevertheless admit that I'm not used to DSLR bodies!<br>

The fact is that entry level DSLR offers either good electronic features or good optical features, rarely both, and for a beginner like me who wants to build a system (I come from the full-auto-compact world), the choice is impossible.<br>

Is the size of the body a parameter to be counted in? I thought so but more I compare cameras and more I feel wrong on this point.<p align="justify">

Ben, well spotted: I'm going to start with a quite limited budget -<i> my budget is in danger to be half limited because of my prehistoric computer which is showing some signs of wear and tear... damn!</i> : )) - so with a quite basic equipment. Then I'm front of a dilemna: either I choose a good body with entry level lenses or - maybe the wisest answer - I choose a nice lens with an entry level body.<br>

What I'd really like to own is at least a better focal range that the one I was using on my P8 (39-117 mm eq. 35mm) LOL<br>

To conclude... My choice isn't done yet!<p align="justify">

Leah, I did not know this K10D (although I'm a big reviews reader...) before you told me about, thanks a lot for that! This body looks amazing (especially with this 16-45mm f/4 lens attached on) and I'll keep a look on it, including it in my <i>which-one-to-buy</i> list.<br>

It has just been previewed on dpreview.<p align="justify">

Don, right, I think so that a pentaprism is better but as I wrote it above, that's difficult to find the best optical features on the best electronic abilities...<p align="justify">

The <i>Find-a-Body-Quest</i> book isn't closed! : ))</p>