Any talk of a 'Digilux 3'?

Has anyone heard any mention of a Digilux 3? The more I think about Leica & digital, the more I come to

the conclusion that an updated Digilux 2 would give me exactly what I want. I'd be perfectly happy with

the Digilux 2 body & lens, and would just want a) some more resolution - 7 Megpixel?; b) ISO 50; and of

course c) buffering for RAW images. Given the time that has passed since the Digilux 2 was released, I

would have thought that these updates would be easy to do. But this seems to be a direction not being

followed.

The new one is an SLR (of a sort) that began life as an Olympus, and I'm sure it's a good

camera. I'm not sure it will get branded by Leica, though - too many comparisons with the R9

+ digi-module.

No, I liked the 'all-in-one' aspect of the Digilux 2 - it seemed to have many of the

advantages of a non-interchangeable lens camera, yet retain a lot of manual control and

'physical familiarity' of an SLR + standard zoom.

The very reason Leica teamed up with Panasonic is to get in on the frequent obsolescence, er upgrade cycle that their own budget doesn't permit. The downside is that this is obviously not a case of Leica subcontracting. Panasonic is calling all the shots. If Leica wants a rebadged version of the Panoly 4/3 I'm sure they'll get one. Meantime if someon's jonesing bad enough there's always ordering a red logo from Leica and pasting it on :*)

Andrew, yes.

#1 Being Sony, the engineering and build quality would be as good or better than Panaleica. Nobody beats Sony in professional digital videocams, they're always among top 2 or 3 in digicam performance at every price point, and they made ultimate rugged 16mm news cameras for decades. Solid credentials.

#2 the sensor would be Sony's own (ie Nikon's) and 10MP APS. Leica won't be building its own sensors anytime soon.

#3 presumably it'd have their well-proven stabalization (their own or Minolta's..they've got LOTS of experience) .

The relative merits of Sony-nominalSchneider and Panasonic-nominalLeica optics seem not to have been explored on P.N. but presumably the APS aspect brings one or the other up or down.

The L1 is supposed to be rebadged as the "Digilux 3" but I suspect Leica will use that name again ... Panasonic's engineers indicated very clearly in a Asahi Kamera interview that the L1 is an evolution from the LC1, and that's it. ;)

"Panasonic's engineers indicated very clearly in a Asahi Kamera interview that the L1 is an

evolution from the LC1, and that's it."

Well, if they said that, it's marketing-speak.... The new L1 is essentially a rebadged Olympus

E330 DSLR, with which it shares a lot of components: most of the chassis, len mount,

focussing system, viewfinder, and the exposure sensor. And of course the L1 accords to the

4/3 system. Whereas the LC1 was a compact camera with a lot of manual overrides and a

manually-controlled, good-quality 'Leica' zoom lens. They may want to position the L1 as an

upgrade to the LC1, but in technology terms, I can't see any connections at all.

No, the L1 is not a rebadged E330, it basically only uses the mirror box co-developed with Olympus, almost everything else is different. According to Panasonic's engineers, they already wanted to make a SLR when they worked on the LC1.