Which MF-system - Mamiya, Pentax or Hasselblad?

thorsten_domeyer2

Thorsten, A few more things to consider:

<p><b><u>Print Size</u></b>

<br>According to this website: http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/mffaq.html

<br>a 6x6 negative is 56mm x 56mm, a ratio of 1:1

<br>a 6x7 negative is 56mm x 69.8mm, a ratio of 0.802:1

<p>If you are printing rectangles, and based on standard paper sizes, the 6x6 will require more of a crop, so you'll get less resolution than with a 6x7.

<p><b><u>Digital capability</u></b>

<br>In case you are thinking about it, the Hasselblad V series and the Rollei 6000 series have digital backs. The Pentax and Mamiya do not.

<p>Given your stated requirements (<i>"... I am fanatic when it comes to image quality, so my main concern is always to get the best image results for the money ..."</i>), the <b>Mamiya 7</b> is IMO the best camera among available choices. I used to have one, but for different reasons (I use a tripod), I migrated to Hasselblad and Rolleiflex. There are many professionals who use the Mamiya 7 with great success. Handle one before buying it.

The Pentax 67 system is inexpensive and offers you more lens options than any of the less expensive medium fomat and some truely lovely lenses. One certainly can shoot it by hand, but if that is your criteria I don't see how you can beat the Mamiya 7 myself.

I did not like the handling too of the Hassy 503CW. But once I got the CW Winder and the PME 45 viewfinder, no more handheld problems. It actually even made it very modern-looking.

I actually find it lighter (with the 150mm) than my Nikon D200 DSLR coupled with any of the pro "Trinity" zoom lenses (and the top Nikon D2X/s is even heavier).

I am sure you will get good results too with the Mamiya or Pentax, although the Pentax is a heavyweight. And yes, don't discount the Rolleis.

Here is a link that can be helpful, scroll to the bottom to read some insights on brands :

http://www.nelsontan.com/articles/mfphoto.html

.[. Sheesh!

Why don't you concentrate on reading instead of criticizing other people's answers that are and will always be better than yours.

"I want a more portable device capable of handheld shooting...I am fanatic when it comes to image quality...main concern is to get the best image results for the money...I pretty much don't care, if it's...or SLR (Pentax)"

Nowhere does it say that it must be handheld only, and must be a rangefinder. We have correctly brought up the benefits and shortcomings of both systems so he can make a more educated choice. Surely nothing wrong with that.

Ilkka:

I often find Z a bit of a curmudgeon, but I think he is right this time. Most of us simply mentioned what we use. I will make one comment on his post: the Pentax 645 is much more of a street, tripod-free camera than the 67, but it is not lighter (it has 6 AA batteries). In fact, with the waist-level finder the 67 is considerably lighter, but fast it is not. I mentioned the 67 because of the emphasis on quality and it can be hand held with good light and not-too-long lenses.

Thorsten: you can try any of the cameras suggested for not very much money (thanks to digital); if you don't like it, sell it and try another. It will cost you very little.