Vignetting on Eos 5D

riza_alirahman

Riza,

It is not the camera's fault. The internet fear of worse vignetting on digital does not seem to have panned out.

The 24-105 is the problem not the 5D. Giampi's pictures show that a different lens will produce an image without vignetting at the same focal length and the same aperture. It is not intrinsic to the focal length/aperture combination. Rectilinear lenses typically exhibit cos^4 light fall off which becomes noticable in very wide angle lenses. Lenses typically exhibit greater vignetting wide open (due to design limitations not pure physics). The 24-70/2.8 exhibits virtually no vignetting even wide open. The 24-105/4 IS exhibits significant vignetting at 24mm especially wide open. The vignetting goes away for other focal lengths.

The polarizer image certainly seems to indicate that your filter is causing vignetting. Try a thin filter.

<i>If I was a snooty artiste who required perfection directly out of camera with no post-processing, well... Perhaps try large format?</i><P>

Light falloff with very-wide-angle lenses is also there with large format. In fact, there are very-expensive center filters (which have a neutral density gradient from the center to the edges) to help compensate for it.

riza, try to find a copy of the Canon 17-40/4 L (you may have to test a couple to find a really stellar copy) and use an ultra-thin filter. that should do the trick on the wider end for you.

i have the 24-105 on a 5D, my fav lens by far nowadays, but it does show very slight vignetting at 24-end, thus I try not to use it thereabouts.

>>Quite a few 5D users have spotted this fault.<<

Let me ask you this: when people shoot film do they fault the film for light fall off?

>>For anyone to say use f8 or higher is just plain stupidity.<<

Geez! After what you just posted you actually call other people stupid?

A lot have been said and I won't add anymore. Except that I made some test shots with 50mm 1.4 on 5D. At F1.4 to F2.8, the lens also showed vignetting when I shot a cloudness bluesky without any filter. I accept this as I've been facing this kind of phenomenon since I started in film photography when I was 20 years younger. It is the fun of using learned skills and adapting tricks and treats that make photography fun, even more in the era of digital.

I thank you all for the valueable response. I can see all response has their own background, and point of view., and i need to try to accept.,

Its might be because my knowledge of photography is not that deep.

Since the first time i use film camera (konica minolta 500xi) for 8 Years, then upgrade to digital to Konica Minolta Dynax 5D, I never saw vignetting, (even using Tamron 11-18mm with CPL), so when i got assignment from an oil company to photograph their facility, i then look for the world best digital camera and my refference goes to Canon Eos 5D, with the best pair lens 24-105mm IS.

With this high class equipment my expectation is much better camera feature and far much better image, (it is indeed), but this vignetting issues suddenly appear.

And all refference suggest me the work around way to avoid this from shooting angle, to the usage of PS.

Intrested to what Bob mentioned, quote:

just bought a Ferrari and now I find you have to run it on premium gas and it only gets 12mpg, plus it's $600 for a tune up. My old Ford ran fine on regular, gave me 30mpg and a tune up was $49.95.

Why does Ferrari make defective cars?

The end result of the Car is: Ferrari can run lot faster and more convinient than Ford, so additional bucks will be allright for me.

The comparisson might should be:

My Cannon 5D run out of Battery in 400 Shots, and My old Minolta can last 800 shots. Canon battery is twice expensive than Minolta.

I will not consider this as a defect as long as the Image is 4 times better than Minolta.

What i feel was, My New Ferrari gets vibrate when reaching 100MPH and above, while my old Ford can run up to 120MPH with no vibration.

For 12mpg, plus it's $600 for a tune up, i would say this is a defect products.

And suggestions come to me not to drive more than 120MPH,

(thats for not to use below f8 and below 24mmFL)

Avoid take a Highway.

(avoid shooting pale blue sky as the top edges of the image)

Try to enjoy the vibration by turning the loud music, and use the vibration as the advantages of a music beat.

(to use vignetting as advantages of the image)

or If i want to look stylish, look for racing tyre not more than 4inch thick.(thats for thin Filter)

Or put a vibrator to compensate the actual speed vibration so it will not noticeable (for the use of PShop).

Apologize if any of my thought are unexceptable, it is really what i feel right now.

I guess i need to adjust my photography knowledge and try to understand that higher equipment required higher work around skill.

A more apt automotive analagy would be:

My Ford has a fairly-smooth ride and little vibration when going at its top speed of 110 mph. My Ferrari has a bumpy ride and a lot of vibration when going its top speed of 170 mph. My Ferrari must be defective.

• 2 years later...

[[Do you think there's a problem with the camera or lens or is "normal"]]

from your photos:

[[This photo was taken with a polarizer and UV filter attached to the lens.]]

Your problem is that you're stacking filters. There's no reason for you to be using both a UV and polarizing filter at the same time.

Also, there is no reason for you to be posting about 40D problems in a 5D thread that's 2 years old. And there's no reason for you to be posting that many photos in a review of the 40D. You should have started a new thread in the Canon EOS forum.

• 2 weeks later...

At Last after 3 years waiting..., I know I was right...

Just released Canon EOS 5D Mark II

and here is one of the feature related to my above quiries , taken from DP review:

Image processing features:

Highlight tone priority

Auto lighting optimizer (4 levels)

High ISO noise reduction (4 levels)

-->Lens peripheral illumination correction (vignetting correction)***

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos5dmarkii/

So for anyone who contribute an answer from many phisics theories, any excuse to accept devective lens vignetting

on old 5D, here are the truth.., even Canon Corp, add Lens peripheral illumination correction (vignetting correction),

and thats confirms my above matter, that vignetting on old 5D is something that need correction from manufacturer,

Well i was hoping to get this correction on old 5D, but, better late than never. :-)

Thank you all, lets close this case and its time to upgrade to 5D mark II.