Just wondering how much time you all usually set aside to work with the bride

and groom typically at a wedding. I usually take a short period of time to add

in some formals to my regular photojournalistic style (almost always requested

by the B&G). But, I was just at a wedding where the photographer took a TON of

time with the B&G - their style was definitely traiditonal, posed shots - LOTS

of posed shots. I'm wondering though, what's the trend today? How long do you

usually work with the B&G?

Thanks!

Samantha, i am re-evaluating the very same process. Typically this is my workflow for a standard wedding at 2pm. 1230 Bride shots with her mom & dad, the bridal party. repeat at 1pm for groom. 2pm shots for ceremony. After Ceremony do formals with happy couple and direct family (both sides)...about 30-40 minututes. Go to park, 1 to 1/2 hour of bridal party and br/gr. Finally Reception. But with most albums being 60% bride and groom and 10-15% Family, 10-15% bridal party 10-20% other, I am trying to reevalute what really is important and what is just mere documentary. for instance, who buys or uses the pictures of a bridesmaid coming down the aisle? SO, is time better spent capturing the shots of dad & bride alone as they get ready to come down the aisle? (considering only one photographer at event). So plan for what the album will consist of, get the important formal shots but (and this is the hard and creative part) shoot for Effect and purpose,,,not just shots that will never be used or ordered. Now if I can figure that out I'd be on tour!!

Samantha,

Typical for me is to first tack on about 20 minutes or so with the two of them only at the end of the formals.(I like to keep formals total at an hour)At the reception, I work out a time to pull the B&G out for another 15 minutes - the B&G always know that up front - then I work with the DJ, etc...on timing. Of course - if the B&G want to spend more time - we do - but that is almost always planned out in advance. I've found the B&G really love the reception time....

I am going to get flamed for this, but here is what I like. One hour with the bride and groom only, one hour with the entire wedding party, and one hour for all family formals. I have found that they usually want a lot of family formals. With the bride and groom and wedding party, I do some formals on the alter, and then some more casual outdoor stuff. Typically around here the pictures are all done before the wedding. If some are done before and some after, I'll arange it a little differently to accomidate.

Every time I think that I can probably cut my time down, someone is 1/2 hour or 45 minutes late, or we cant find the black socks, or something else is wrong. So, as for now I have opted to leave my time the way it is.

I don't think there is a trend. People do different things based on the style and type of coverage they provide, in their particular area. Besides the formals, I typically take about 15-20 minutes during the reception sometime, to take the couple outside or out of the reception room for casual images, but posed or directed.

Interesting answers! We always ask the B&G to devote 15-20 minutes after the formals to just the two of them. The pressure is off at that point and the fact that they are really married is starting to settle in.

It is the only time they have alone (except for us) all day long. They seem to appreciate it and it doesn't hold them up too long.

Last week, 10 mimutes. The week before, about 5 minutes. That same w/end a day earlier 15 minutes. So I guess for me its in the 10 minute range. I do follow them for the day though, which will often give me some time they are together that I am not 'taking'. Funny thing is, those times are often the best shots of the couple, IMO.

Not sure if this is representative, but what I see a bit around Melbourne (Australia), and what worked really well at my wedding was: getting ready brides house morning, getting ready grooms house morning, ceremony, family portraits in the park (or sometimes outside the church) while the guests drink champagne; then wedding party goes to a bar or cafe for coffee / drinks - relaxes together while photographer takes some candid, some posed (if no time to go to cafe / bar then bridal party wanders around park getting some candid some posed; then bridal party goes, and B&G get some alone together either in cafe / wandering around the city / in park.

In our case we had about 45 mins coffee with bridal party - great candids taken in a lovely cafe with nice light in the window. Then wandered around with hubby getting lovely shots in front of nice sandstone walls etc in city for about half an hour. We would actually have liked more time, but ran out - it's a busy day. For us it was one of the most relaxing parts of the day, and time to spend together.

Lots of the weddings I see shot around Melbourne seem to go location-hunting and you see them taking shots in heaps of different locations with just the B&G or with the weddig party also. Would love as a photographer to have that time luxury, but can only imagine it would be possible if the ceremony is hours apart from the reception. I imagine that much time could contribute to tiredness, although for me it was fun & a recharge and time for a breather. I guess there is a balance between the two, and it also depends on the style of the photographer, and what the couple are wanting.