Foliage site recommendation in Manchester, Vermont

andy_szeto

I am attending a wedding on Oct 1 (Sunday) in Manchester, Vermont. I have one

full day before and after the wedding and I would like any suggestion where to

take pictures during this foliage season. Is there any national/state park

that someone would recommend? Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Manchester, is an outlet center. A good place to buy a discounted sweater, if you can stand the heavy traffic. Route 7 backs up for miles with "city" folks leaf peeping, and syrup/cheese buying.

That said, the entire area is filled with small towns, old bldgs, churches, bridges etc.

The only fly in the ointment, is that 10/1 might be a bit before the peak foliage.

The Green Mountain National Forest is all a stones throw from there. And this area is beautiful,with or without the leaves being orange/red. Plus the area east of there is quite scenic, small towns etc. Buy a map, pick a road and you can't go too wrong. You can Google the national forest and get some 411.

There are opportunities for good images almost everywhere in the area, even Manchester

itself, despite all the outlets, offers some. All depends on ho wyou are getting there and

which direction you want to drive. Heading South from manchester you go throuhg the

towns of Grafton and Townshend and Newfane. Great photographich opportunities

abound in all three. Of particular interest is an old cemetary in Townshend where there

are a number of Revolutionary War veterans buried, we shoot there for our Fine Focus

Workshops all the time. The Newfane Town Square is a classic example of pristine small

town New England. Head East and you can cross the river, over several different

picturesque bridges into New Hampshire. Cornish and the St. Gauden's Estate offers some

spectacular shooting. Stay on the Vermont side and head on up to Woodstock and

Quichee. Woodstock may just be the most picturesque typical New Englad town you will

find and Quichee Gorge is spectacular any time of year. The colors won't be at peak but

there will be some color. I live a few miles from Quichee and Woodstock and can tell you

tht there is already color in the trees and the Gorge is looking very good.

If you want the real peak color drop me a note about joining us for part of our Fall Foliage

Workshop that is going in that weekend about two hours North of Manchester; we have

room for just one more person. You can also take a look at www.finefocusworkshops.com

<p>Fall colors are a bit early this year, even if the area is not at peak you may find a number of good close-up opportunities around. Also, keep in mind that as you traverse different elevations, the colors will be doing something different, as colors turn at higher elevations first.</p>

<p>My favorite website for fall foliage in Vermont is <a href=http://www.foliage-vermont.com/><u>www.foliage-vermont.com</u></a>. It has a map that I find to be fairly accurate year after year. Good luck!</p>