choice and cd for reorders per their discretion. If they would like

b/w, I?ll convert in PSCS2. I have the following:

Bodies

Nikon N80

Nikon EM

Pentacon Six TL MF ? for formals only

Lenses

Quantaray 28-90mm f/3.5-5.6 for N80

Nikon 35mm f/1.4 AIS Manual Focus (can also be used on N80 in manual mode)

Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AIS Manual Focus (can also be used on N80 in manual mode)

80mm f2.8 for Pentacon

Flash

None (Nikon N80 has pop up, but I refuse to use it)

Tripod

Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 3028 Super 3-D Head

Meter

Sekonic L-508

Film

Portra NC 160 & 400

What I need:

Glass for 35mm SLR systems (?)

Flash / Bracket system for N80 ? Thinking the SB800 but unsure.

Filters for outside/inside ? Currently have a circular polarizer for

each camera body

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Maybe think about a used SB 28. Unless you are planning to go digital sometime soon, i'm not sure its worth it to spend 2 to 3 times as much on the SB 800. KEH has used SB 28's for $100. Probably best 2 get 2 of whatever you choose.

It also might be a good idea to think about standardizing on one system. Either nikon af or mf. I know you can use the AIS lenses on the N80, but don't you lose some of your metering options? If you are comfortable with manual focus maybe buy a used FM2 and a short tele like a 105 f2.5. If you go this route you could just get a non-dedicated autoflash like a vivitar 285 HV.

If going AF with nikon I'd move up to the F100. The finicky low light performance and reliability issues I had with my N80 just about drove me mad.

BTW, you have some lovely shots on your site.

Matt,

I didn't realize that the SB800 was a primary for digital flash. I don't plan on buying a digital, so the SB28 would work, i suppose.

The EM is for back up. I plan on using the N80 as primary camera. I do lose the metering features when i use the AIS lenses on the N80, but that's what the meter is for.. because it doesn't make sense right now to buy new AF fast lenses when I have them already. eventually, when i have the cashed saved, i plan to buy AF fast lenses.

"If going AF with nikon I'd move up to the F100. The finicky low light performance and reliability issues I had with my N80 just about drove me mad."

I'd love to upgrade to the F100 or F6.. but just not possible before July.

"BTW, you have some lovely shots on your site."

Thank you very much :)

The SB800 isn't just for digital cameras, it can do all the Nikon flash implementations and has auto thyristor and manual too. So it would be a good idea if money was no object, since it would be compatible with any Nikon camera, film or digital, made now, and probably in the future for a time.

It's possible to photograph a wedding not using flash at all, but usually you need one. If money is an object, a cheap Vivitar 283/285 would do just fine. A bracket would be a good idea, especially for verticals with flash. A simple Quick Flip would work fine.

Your zoom is a little slow, although you can do a good job using the zoom where you need the medium/smaller apertures and the primes where you need the speed. I might pick up a faster telephoto prime though.

Using 35mm and medium format together is fine as long as you are comfortable switching between the two. If the medium format is to be used for formals only, it should not be difficult, but you will need a flash that works with the medium format (almost any flash that can be used in auto thyristor or manual) unless the formals are outside or in a fairly bright, evenly lit place.

Don't even fiddle with filters. Using color negative film, you (or your lab) can make minor color balance tweaks in printing. I don't think I've ever used a polarizer at a wedding. The only filter you might use if your client likes the effect is a soft focus. Possibly a neutral density for aperture control outdoors in the direct sun.

How much can you spend? I'm sure we all can have a lot of fun spending your money on nice-to-have equipment, but whether you need that equipment is another story.

Nadine,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking at about $500 to $1000 to spend on equipment if needed. I want to get things that are an investment to what i have now. so if its not needed, but will make things a bit easier in the long run, then so be it.

I just want to have a good flash bracket, a good flash (+ back up), and wide open fast glass.

So spend all you like and let me know what you come up with ... :)

If you can get an SB28 for $100, buy it. The af with the N80 in dim light is pretty lame and the AF light (red and unobtrusive) in the SB28 will help a lot. Set the AF sensor selector to manual and use the center one. The af illuminator only works with the center af sensor. You can get by with just a Stofen Omnibounce. With the tilt-swivel head of the SB28 you can angle the head up whether the camera is horizontal or verticle. For everything other than fill light, set the flash to plain TTL and set the flash compensation, on the flash, to +.7. (I've used N80's and F100's for years.) Also, even though the N80 can't meter ambient light with MF lenses, it WILL do TTL flash.

I find the viewfinder of the N80 to be poor for manual focusing. I would also want a 50/1.8 AF lens. (Any version, doesn't matter and they're under $100 used.) It's way better than that zoom and AF is a good thing for receptions.

OK. I'd get the SB800, a bracket (and off-camera cable for the flash), a Vivitar 285 and a telephoto prime. I don't suggest a brand for the bracket because there are many different kinds--some folks like one, others like another--it all depends on your personal likes/dislikes and way of shooting. I suggest the Vivitar 285 because it can act as back up and be used on the Pentacon for the formals. You could also look at a used 120J Pro (not TTL). That way, you won't have to take the SB800 off your N80 to do the formals. The telephoto prime--I use Canon now so I don't know the ins and outs of the AF telephotos, but I have a Nikon FM with AI primes. One of them is the 105mm f2.5, which is razor sharp. It would make a nice portrait lens for half lengths and close ups, as well as get you closer if shooting from the back of a church. Maybe others have better suggestions--f2.5 is not particularly fast, I know.

I personally like the Quick Flip type brackets myself (I have a Stratos bracket). Many people like the Stroboframe Pro/Press T, but I don't because I feel it puts the flash too far ahead of the body, throwing your balance off. One thing to think about is which way you turn the camera for verticals. If you turn it to the left, you have to get a bracket that allows for this. Also, think about how the flash is oriented to the camera for verticals. With brackets that turn the camera, not the flash, the flash head is still horizontal while the camera is vertical, which is good if you bounce and your flash doesn't swivel, and bad if you are using a wide angle since you may experience flash fall off. I suggest you visit as many flash bracket websites as you can. Make some decisions, then order from a place you can return to in case you end up not liking the bracket. You really have to try it to see if it works for you. Try Stroboframe, Newton, Custom Bracket, as well as look at all the offerings on B&H.

I agree with Tim. Go for the SB-28 or Viv 285. Have backups on bodies, flashes and sync cords. I personally prefer the Stroboframe "camera-flip" model. Much better than the flash flip model. I'm not a fan of the Quantaray's, but it'll do I suppose. However, the 28-90mm is a great wedding focal length. I will often shoot entire wedding with my 28-90mm lens. I have three of them, a Nikkor 105 f/2.5, 70-210 and 24mm f/2. They cover any situation that has arisen for me. The Viv 285 and Nikon SB-24's are excellent flashes for this type of work.

Russ<div>00C8P9-23404984.jpg.e30a42697d907eb95c4bcf1261a3dfe4.jpg</div>

Juliet,

In general, I think it is a good idea to DUPLICATE gear and not just have backups. In the

'heat of battle' you sometimes need to make really fast adjustments/lens changes/film

loading etc...no time to even look at the controls.

Nikon N90s is a good cheap camera that you can afford to buy a few of (used from KEH).

Flash: Nikon SB-80 is an excellent deal. The SB-800 is overkill. I bought an sb-800 and

soon realised I didn't need it. I got an SB-80 as a backup/2nd flash.

Juliet,

If you are interested in going with the recommended gear I do have an N90s body and SB-28 in excellent condition. Please e-mail me offline if interested.

I would give you the same recommendation as others but didn't want to be biased seems how I'm trying to sell them! :-)