Fall foliage reports through the western US?

mark_h6

I've finally got some freedom in my work schedule and hope to do some photography in either the

central Rockies or the Wasatch Front. In California, I'm aware of Carol Leigh's California <a href="http:/

/www.calphoto.com/fall.htm">fall colors sheet</a> and there is a page dedicated to the <a

href="http://www.parks.state.co.us/default.asp?

parkid=&action=submitsearch&search=condition&conditionID=38&searchParkID=&Submit=Submit">C

olorado State Parks</a>. Are there any other internet resources you can suggest?

<p>

As an aside, if anyone would care to suggest locations in the Wasatch Range, I'd appreciate it.

<p>

Thanks!

Don't know of any resources, but good fall colors are usually best in the southern/central

rockies (I live in the La Platas) around the first to second week of October, however, we've had

a uncharacteristically wet and cool summer, so I'm guessing that if these low temperatures

keep up, then it will be best around the end of this month/first part of Oct.

Last year the colors were very good the end of Sept. through

the first part of Oct. <br><br>

For Northern Utah along the Wasatch Mountains I like these areas<br><br>

1) Sardine Canyon between Brigham City and Wellsville on Route 89<br>

2) Logan Canyon east of Logan<br>

3) The Monte Cristo area, which is along route 39 east of Hunstville<br>

4) Near North Fork Park west of Eden and that whole mountainside west of Eden<br>

5) Trapper's Loop that is a short highway from Ogden Valley over to Weber Canyon. The start is just south of Pineview Resevoir.<br>

<br>

This web page below has 31 scenic fall color routes<br>

throughout Utah, and includes some in Northern Utah<br><br>

<a href="http://www.utah.com/byways/fallcolorstour.htm">http://www.utah.com/byways/fallcolorstour.htm</a>

<br><br>

The fall color hotline by the US Forest Service is at (800) 354-4595

but they are not quite turned on for this year, but I imagine any day now it will have new updates on the area fall colors.

Colorado State Parks are not the best places in Colorado to see fall colors. Check out this

link instead: http://phototravel.com/sample/co_fall.htm.

I have been to most of these locations, and my personal pick is the Aspen/Crested Butte

Loop described. If you have a few days, this is the best area to go. The other places

described here are more strictly highway drives. The Aspen/Crested Butte Loop covers a

lot of ground and has plenty of places to get off the road and go exploring. Maroon Bells

is gorgeous but very crowded. Unless you hike into the back country, there is only a small

lake to accomodate busloads of people and it's hard to get a shot without a bunch of

tourists in the way. It is practically in Aspen city limits, so if you are in Aspen, it's worth

the trip. Go very early in the morning to avoid the shuttle bus (which is required during

most of the day - no cars are allowed). If you have the time, add Redstone and Marble to

this trip. Go north of Aspen to Carbondale, then cut back to the southwest to go to

Redstone and Marble. Be sure to take the dirt road to the marble quarry. But whatever you

do on this trip, don't miss Independence Pass.

I also love the Silver Thread Scenic Byway. There are plenty of four-wheeling roads when

you get to Lake City, so you can really get into the back country. Many of the four-wheel

roads take you to Ouray, which is one of the most gorgeous places in Colorado. If you

make it to Ouray, you cannot miss the Million Dollar Highway that runs between Ouray and

Silverton.

If you're coming to Colorado this month, be aware that Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70

(between Georgetown and Dillon) is under construction and you can expect two hour or

more delays. The construction runs from Sept. 10-29 (but you know how it always runs

long). You can take Loveland Pass to circumvent Eisenhower, but it is one lane in each

direction and will probably be quite congested. Avoid the entire area if possible. If I were

flying in to Colorado for fall colors this year, I would fly into Aspen, rent a car, and do the

entire Aspen area. Be sure to bring your credit card, ouch.

We have had a cool, wet summer here in Colorado, so the colors should be excellent this

fall. The higher you go, the earlier the colors peak, but you can generally count on the

third week of September through the first week of October unless snow knocks the leaves

off the trees first.

I hope I didn't get too off-topic here, just wanted to share what I know. Happy shooting!

If your going to head into the IDaho, Wyoming areas, the colors have started changing but not so much as to be terrific yet. Another couple weeks will see some interesting changes happen.

As noted above, late Sept. seems to be the best but into central Utah, as late as early Oct. can still be good. It varys a week or so year to year.

I have scedualed the last week of Sept. off work. My plans are to hit the MOrmon Barns in Grand Teton NAtional Park as well as Oxbow Bend and other spots here and there, then start working south through Star Valley and up over into IDaho along Hwy 34 down into Soda Springs and into Preston and Logan Areas by the end of the week.

Good Luck and have fun.

Dave in IDaho