Best camera for indoor ice hockey photos?

kevin_fox3

I currently use a Pansonic DMC-FZ5 12Xzoon camera but my hockey photos either

turn out too dark (when I set a shutter speed of 1/80 or greater) or the action

is too blurred (when I set a lower shutter speed to brighten the photo).

It's a fine line setting a high enough speed to cut down on blur and a slow

enough speed to allow enough light.

I always have to lighten and add contrast to my photos in photoshop...and they

still don't turn out as good as I would like.

Just wondering if anyone can reccommend an SLR camera (no more than $1200 or so)

that would take great photos at hockey games? (OHL level).

Thanks for any help,

Kevin Fox

Ontario,Canada

Hi, any recent entry level Digital SLR can give you better photos.

- DSLR usually can go till 1600 asa sensibility, while your camera can only reach 400.

- at 400 asa a slr has better performance and much less noise.

- dslr allows you to shoot in Raw files that give you more possibilities in modifying photos whithout obtaining bad images

- it allows you to choose faster and better lens but also more exprensive. (ie. constant f/2.8 aperture)

So you might go for an entry level with a good lens. anyway consider also that entry level cameras are not very fast in shooting. They can, generally, shoot 2/3 per second for a maximum of few shots.

So you need to know what are your prioriry or if you can permit to loose some shot atc. etc.

Hope this helps,

Antonio

Antonio's advice is right on.

For $1,200, here's how I'd approach it:

A used Nikon D70 from B&H - Nikon D70, 6.1 Megapixel, SLR, Digital Camera (Camera Body)

Mfr# 25212 ユ Used Cat.# 486097 Used Dept.

Our Price: $ 499.00

Shipping Cost:

Availability:

In Stock

Item Condition:

Shows signs of use, but very clean

And this Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AFD w/ tripod collar from www.keh.com:

Nikon Auto Focus

80-200 F2.8 D MACRO ED WITH TRIPOD MOUNT (77) 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS ZOOM TELEPHOTO LENS

NA079990291830

Grade Now Was

BGN $599.00

That would get you there. You'll probably want to add a shorter lens for general purpose use, but that 80-200/2.8 is 'where the fun starts' for most indoor sports.

I'd prefer a Nikon D2H for the body, but that's out of your price range. I have used a D70 for indoor sports, and it does fine if you stick to the central AF point.

I've been shooting hockey action for years. I just got a Nikon D70S and tried it for my sons' summer high school league. I used a Tamron 28-200 zoom, and got decent, not great, results. These were all done with no flash. I expect to use a metz CT-60 in each corner of the rink this winter, and fired by remote trigger and slaves. I have shot dozens of tournaments, including five state championships. I usually used 1600 film with a flash. Not an easy sport to shoot, especially with very basic equipment. I would definately recommend a camera with a 1600 ISO. Good luck.

While I don't have a hockey player in the family....I do have a figure skater.... even more expensive than hockey! Anyway I bought a D-70 about two years ago .... by taking the ASA to 1600 I am able to take some pretty good "action" photo's indoors at various rinks. However I have found that the lighting in ice rinks is variable and never really good. I started with a Nikon 70-210mm F 4 -5.6 , while it was long enough it was too slow and I had to shoot at ~1/150 1/200 (ASA1600)... lots of blurry pictures. I bit the bullet and bought a Nikon 80-200 F2.8 - used for about $600 - well worth it. I can now shoot at about 1/400, of course no flash is allowed at figure skating events so that's as good as it gets. While I have gotten great pictures with my D-70,I think a D-50 with the same lens would had done just as well - in fact the D-50 is supposed to have lower noise at ASA 1600. However a fast tlelephoto lens is essential ( I hear the sigma 80-200 F2.8 is nearly as sharp as the Nikon) Here is a link to my site which has a LOT of figure skating photo's - including some of the US figure skating championships at St Louis earlier this year (the winners of this competiton went on to the winter Olympics). I also think the Cannon SLR's are great - they line up cost and feature wise pretty close to the nikons - people spend a lot of time flaming each other about which is better...but at the end of the day they are both excellent. The real issue is the lenses - once you start investing in the lenses you get "wedded" to one brand. I now have a lot of Nikon lenses - and I will probably buy another nikon digital SLR body in a few years because I have such an investment in lenses.

Here is a link to my site:

http://ky-sailor.smugmug.com/

Hope this helps

Dave

Kevin

I use Nikon D70S with 80-200 F/2.8 1/250 ISO 800 works great for young figure skaters and hockey players. You need higher ISO for adults, especially figure skaters, really fast spins. Get a sturdy monopod, I got a cheap one and it flexed, not good.

Just waiting for Nikon to come out with a 80-400 f/1.4 That would make life a lot easier :-)

Andy