Voigtlander-Cosina 50/2 Heliar collapsible lens

naphtali

I own no collapsible lenses. For a Leica M4-P or M6 (classic), I am considering

buying the new Voigtlander 50/2 Heliar collapsible lens in M mount Voigtlander

50/2 Heliar collapsible lens in M mount. Its price is attractive, and lens is

collapsible.

I have no first-hand knowledge of Cosina-Voigtlander lenses. I understand they

have a reputation as being excellent value and very good overall quality.

What's the skinny -- especially when compared with LTM and M mount collapsible

lenses commonly used on Leica Ms?

1. In absolute terms, how "good" is the lens?

2. How desirable, as a user, is the lens when compared with other 50 mm

collapsible LTM/M mount lenses?

3. Would I be better served to think in terms of a rigid 50 mm, or a collapsible

90 mm?

Results wanted are an unobtrusive carrying camera on Lolo National Forest hikes,

camera on chest harness or without harness. I've ruled out many unacceptable

kits to reach this series of questions.

The Rigid Summmicron is a STANDARD. If you don't want High contrast of Modern lenses,

it is a great lens.

I owned a Collapsible Summicron and it was excellent. Light, compact....Warmer color

rendition than the Rigid. They are generally very cheap as well.

I am a fan of the 21mm, 15mm, 12mm lenses in Voightlander but I can't imagine opting

for a Voight 50 when there are so many options in used Leitz glass (I am a vintage Lens

fan though).

The Collapsible 90 doesn't really make much sense. It is pretty heavy for one thing. If you

want a portable 90, the Tele-Elmarit 2.8 "Thin" model is the one to get. The 90 C f4 Elmar

(for the Leica CL) isn't even more compact than the Tele-Elmarit. It is much cheaper

though. If you think you are going to be shooting at f8 all the time you might consider

one.

Lance,

A couple of points. First, is the 50mm f/2 Heliar going to be available on its own? The received wisdom is that it is only going to be available with Bessa R2M/R3M bodies.

Second, the only review of the lens I have seen was from an individual on another forum. His verdict was that the lens was fine at f/5.6 and smaller apertures but that it was disappointingly unsharp wide open. This is anecdotal evidence but I tend to trust this person's opinions.

For an "unobtrusive carrying camera" it might be worth considering the current 50mm f/2.8 Elmar-M, which is an outstanding optic. Mine came with a used M7 and I intended to sell the lens as I rarely use the 50mm focal length. I tested it before putting it on the auction site and was so impressed with its performance that I decided to keep it.

I use the Elmar-M in an outfit that includes the 24mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH, the last pre-ASPH 35mm Summicron and the 90mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M, all of which are optically superb. It more than holds it own in this hallowed company and it has encouraged me to make much greater use of the 50mm focal length than before.

Used examples of the Elmar-M are excellent value. Other good alternatives include the collapsible version of the 50mm Summicron f/2, plus there is always the rigid version - one of the most optically competent lenses ever made - if you don't insist on a collapsible lens.

I just bought one from Photovillage. Silver. Gandy has the same price but indicated he would only sell black (when I checked).

Build is solid and results are a bit like my 50/2 Hexanon. Not quite as sharp as the 50/2 Summicron but not easy to see the difference. Colors are a bit warmer than other lenses.

I carry it on a Bessa T to go hiking. Here is a snap of my 14 year old at f=2.8 and 1/2000. I wanted to shoot at f=2 but the film was too fast for the light. I was interested in what the bokeh looked like. I am going to do this again at f=2 next time I'm out.<div>00Hzhp-32297384.JPG.928bb550e7fc981291c0a93d07819a23.JPG</div>

Larry's above comparison is very interesting WRT the Heliar vs Hexanon. Certainly by f/4 one would think the Hexanon would be at least as good if not little better where they should both be hitting their stride. One would have expected the Hexanon to do much better than shown. The Hexanon appears relatively soft and of low contrast. The Heliar is clearly the winner of the group. I wonder if the differences would be even more stark if a film scanner had been used instead of a flatbed.