Why you don't get reprints

jim mucklin

"The Napster generation is getting married" Good point Ravi and I guess is why many photographers include a cd in their packages. As for the topic of reprint sales, I don't have any experience but am figuring that as this Napster generation comes up with all their technical knowledge, copying will be more and more of a problem. many people have scanners at home and average non-pro photographers have PS or similar programs and decent photo printers.

i would think some of this issue may relate to the level of clients you are dealing with. Could the lower end clients be more likely to want to save money and make their own images? Also, many average clients don't see an immediate difference between a professional print and a scanned, copied print so they may not have the motivation to get pro prints.

personally, i don't frame any original photos. Everything I have in frames is color photocopies (this started with archival concerns in framing old family photos of which there are only single copies).

Other thoughts as far as what photographers charge for reprints... When pros actually made their own prints by hand I imagine a lot of work was put into their craft therefore making a professional print "worth" more? (I've never processed film or made my own prints). I know what is being charged per print is partly for the "artwork" as much if not more than for the process and the paper. I think clients don't understand this and it is why they balk at the prices.

Also, for friends and family members to get a couple of 4x6 prints does add up. I know there were tons I would have wanted from my sister's wedding, but at $10 each, I instead decided not to order any.

Just my thoughts on what has turned into a good discussion.

Thanks for the response Mary. It seems that for you prints are quite lucrative. I assume that you have a tangible "added value" to the photos themselves, in the form of perhaps a nice portfolio or other classy method to display the final prints? I can see how a high price for the prints themselves would be justified if there is 1st class presentation to go with them, as well as top-notch photo finishing. I have found that most people don't know how good a photo taken by a professional can actually be, so I can understand how this angle could make the price justifiable in the minds of a bride and groom.

While not a professional wedding photographer, I shot this at a friend's wedding, printed it at 24x36 at Perfectposter for $20, spent $50 to frame it and gave it to them as a wedding present. They thought I spent $500 on it. Presentation, presentation, presentation!<div>00H2rC-30759584.jpg.f5662dad16519d798763cf9444f6f7c3.jpg</div>

• 1 month later...
Actually, I've found the employees as these places with kiosks quite guarded regarding photos that might be professional. I've had to show them my actual slides or sign a statement that I held the copyright or they wouldn't let me do some of my prints. I guess I should be flattered, but I hear that the stores face pretty stiff penalties from Kodak or whoever for violating the rules.

though this is an old thread, I signed up for alerts so was just reminded of it. I do a lot of color photocopying of very old pictures for my job. Usually, nothing I do is questioned. Last week, I was coping a professionally taken photo from 1910 and the guy working there said I couldn't copy it because it was copyrighted. He agreed once I pointed out how old it was and photographer is prob dead. I was very impressed that he stopped me and let the manager know.