Road trip from Brunswick, GA to So. California

klsphoto

We'll be driving from the east coast of Georgia to Southern

California next week--repositioning our new vehicle. Route is mostly

I-40 through Nashville, Oklahoma City, Albuquerque, etc. I'm mainly

interested in landscapes and nature with an emphasis on waterfalls.

I'm familiar with California & Arizona, but need some help on

anything east of Albuquerque that would make for pleasant pictures

and is not too far off the interstate--don't want to try hubby's

patience too much. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

There's a whole lot of nothing off I40 east of NM. Memphis and Nashville are neat cities. Stay there over night and go to Beale St., etc. You could get some nice city/people type shots that way. There's a water tower somewhere in OK letting you know that it's Garth Brooks' home town. The gigantic Cross in Groom, TX. There's also a leaning water tower that was built on an angle because they thought it would bring in tourism. That's somewhere in the nothingness between the Mississippi R. and NM. Not great photography stops, but they're quirky and something to look at instead of tumbleweeds.

Karen,

Your route I-40 will go through the Smokey Mountains National Park just before or during it's high season. You could make an interesting side trip by detouring via Hendersonville, NC along SR64. This will take you to an area that has many waterfalls (e.g. Dry Falls, Bridal Falls), some of which are easily accessible (i.e. do not require a long hike). The mountains in SW North Carolina are quite photogenic and offer many interesting side trips. The AAA maps have the scenic routes marked.

One special feature in that area is Joyce Kilmer National Monument. It is one of the few forest spots in the East that was NEVER cut down. It was saved by a bankruptcy, a washed out railroad bridge and finally a sale to the Forest Service for an outrageous profit. It is a marvel to behold and a challenge to photograph. Also, I think it is being attacked by some alien bug that is eating the trees so it may not last.

The Parkway around the SW border of the Smoky Mtns Natl Park (SMNP) is also scenic and worth the time. This would also allow you to approach the SNMP from the SW which has less traffic and you can avoid Gatlinburg altogether which is impossible to get through during the season. If you are early enough to avoid the massive crowds then the SMNP is a four season marvel.

After the Smokies you can return to I-40 and you will next come to the TVA area. Many dams and lakes and other secenic stuff going west from Knoxville along the Tennessee-Kentucky border. Someone else will have to comment about that area because I have never been, only read their tourist brochures.

Thank you all for your responses. Since we will starting in Southeast Georgia, getting to N. Carolina may be a problem, we'll see. As I mentioned, we're from So. Calif so areas in the Southwest are familiar and reachable by our light aircraft. I am more interested in any "don't miss" sights in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas along I 40, as we don't get many opportunities to visit that part of the country. Again, thanks for your help. Karen