Lens reviews

kevinbriggs

Can anybody answer the following: What is the best web site for reviews of

individual SLR lenses?

I know that there are several quality web sites that review camera bodies on a

regular basis, but what about the best web sites for quality reviews of the lenses?

Thanks in advance!

K.

Dear Kevin,

As someone who sometimes tests lenses professionally for various magazines, and as a contributor to Amateur Photographer (where you will find some of the best tests in the business), I have to say that there are at least four problems in what you are asking for.

First, getting the lenses for tests isn't always easy, even for a well-respected magazine. Only a selection can be tested.

Second, testing lenses fully -- MTF and all the good stuff -- is beyond the reach of all but a few magazines. The best you can normally hope for is a subjective test.

Third, even a decent subjective test is time-consuming and costly, again limiting the number of lenses that can be tested.

Fourth, you often get what you pay for, especially with the web. You have to wonder why anyone would want to do tests for nothing, if they are good enough to be paid for doing them.

I'd suggest, therefore, that a reputable magazine might be a better bet.

Cheers,

Roger

Also check the FAQ link at the following site for great tips about buying lenses for Nikon's film and digital cameras:

http://www.moosepeterson.com/home.html

Moose Peterson is a legend in the Nikon world. He also wrote the "Nikon Guide," a jam-packed review and description of Nikon equipment, including his professional opinions about all of the lenses Nikon ever made for their film cameras (up to the publishing date). It's worth buying if you're interested in Nikon, and can find the book in the photo stores or on the web. --Dave

The review pages at http://www.fredmiranda.com/ are reasonably useful, though it is

necessary to do some objective (no pun intended) filtration.

Apart from that, I agree with Akira's recommendation for Nikon users to keep an eye on

Bjorn Rorslett's site.

To borrow a phrase from Chas & Dave, Bjorn appears to have more lenses than Jessops/

B&H (delete according to location), and provides info on how these perform with newer

digital models as well as older DSLRs and film. Excellent site.