from my church. he wants me to be like shooting from different angles

and such

but yea, i'm sure he'll go over most of this with me

but i figured i'd get a head start

just yea, any suggestions and such, and also mayeb tell me things to

be expecting

heh, i've actually nvr even been to a wedding before so yea, thanks a

ton

I agree with David. You can learn a lot by looking at what he shoots, but it will be appreciated if you shoot from different angles and get shots he is unable to because he has to be around the couple.

Get shots of guests and the party away from the couple.<br>

<br>

As an assistant you are in the position to wait for things to happen. When you expect something to happen, frame and focus your shot, and wait for it to happen.<br>

<br>

Make sure you aren't in his shot and are always at the opposite end of the room/church. If he shoots the ceremony from the side then you need to be shooting from the back, down the aisle etc.<br>

<br>

<b>Always look for emotions and details.</b><br>

<br>

I have assisted a few weddings now and it is nice to be an assistant. You can try something different and learn to see the line between different and weird. <br>

You can also try to have some fun with the guests and make some funny pictures.

Assuming that the couple didn't just hire the photographer that you will be working with because they are low priced, it was because of the look of their work. You need to have some idea of what their work looks like so that your shots will fit in. There's no point in putting a lot of effort into getting shots that can't be used. The next thing is that most photographers who commonly use assistants for extra shooting know what they shoot and what they want the assistant to shoot. Very often I get very specific directions. One photographer wanted me to do a wide shot of the church during the ceremony from the balcony. He told me not to put the B&G on the ceterline of the frame, becuase he often uses this shot in a two page spread and didn't want the split line between the two of them.

If you will be using your own gear, it's a good idea to discuss ahead of time what they will want you to shoot so you will have the right gear with you.

Join PPA. Join your local Professional photographers organization. Go to seminars by noted wedding photographers (see PPA). Read everything you can get your hands on about wedding photography by respected wedding photographers. Find a respected wedding photographer in your area and carry his bags for a couple of years. That's the way you become a wedding photographer.

Never did any of what Lester suggested. I guess I'm not a wedding photographer. I'd better go hand back all those retainer checks :-).

There are a few different avenues one can follow when aspiring to shoot weddings. As Lester has suggested, assisting and joining the PPA or your local guild is a great start. If I had to get where I am today all over again, I'd start by hooking up with a reputable and successful wedding photographer or studio, and assist for as many weddings as I possibly could. I'd probably be much farhter along than I am today.

Otherwise, for information on what to be prepared for your first time around, search the threads - there are tons of posts out there with great information on shooting your first wedding!

lol, alright heres how it worked out, i've been shooting since about the begining of this year, theres a professional wedding photographer that goes to my old church, i e-mailed him my site to check out, to see what he though of it.

i visited my old church and he came up to me and said he really liked what he saw and was wondering if i'd be interested in being an assistant for him. so of course i said yes