48 Hours: Chicago

I will be taking a flight to Chicago on Thursday and returning (to Baltimore)

on Saturday. The main purpose of the excursion is to see the exhibit "The

Concerned Photographer" at the Art Institute of Chicago.

I am torn as to which equipment to take. The trip will not be photography

intensive, but I'd like to come away with as many good images as possible.

I've narrowed my choices to a Canon EOS 10D with a 20-35(eff 32-56)/3.5-4.5

zoom or a Leica MP with 50/2.8 Elmar. I am planning to capture all images in

color. I want to keep my equipment minimal so that I have only one carry-on

bag at the airport, so taking both is out. I like using my Leica mostly for

black-and-white street photography, but there will not be much time for

general street shooting on this trip. I like the idea of having just one 2GB

memory card, and not having to worry about film getting fogged by airport

security devices. I like the small size and tactility of the Leica. Carrying

three batteries and a charger for the 10D is no more of a problem than

carrying several rolls of film and a small flash for the MP. I won't be

photographing at the exhibit.

I'm sorta on-the-fence and looking for advice. What has worked well/better

when you have travelled? Also, any must-see suggestions from those familiar

with Chicago?

Michael J Hoffman

3 batteries? That sounds like a lot. The battery in the 20D lasts a really long time is the 10D

that inefficient? Anyway, your film is not going to get fogged from one or two passes through

an x-ray machine, unless it is the one used to screen checked bags. I have travelled all over

with film going through the x-rays with no visible problem. I am getting ready to take 80

rolls in my carry-on for a trip starting on Thursday...Just bring the MP and a few rolls of film.

I like a choice of focal lengths when I travel--or at any other time. If you really are going to take only the 50/2.8 with the Leica, then I would bring the 10D instead. But if you have several focal lengths, bring several and use the Leica. In Chicago I used a 21mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 90mm. That's my standard travel kit. Or, 24-35-50-90 is a bit more efficient. It will all fit in a very small bag. On airline trips I often use a Domke 803, but an M with 4 small lenses will go in an F-5XB as well.

I have put a roll of Fuji 1600 color print film, and a roll of Fuji Neopan 1600, through the carry-on X-ray, not once, but twice--two exposures for each roll. First time was in St. Louis, and then again on the return trip from Houston. Both rolls were fine! I also had a roll of TMY 3200, but I haven't used that roll yet. I'll report later. Should be fine, though.

Michael, use whichever camera you feel like using. But if you bring the Leica, at least bring an extra focal length. Downtown Chicago calls for a wide-angle lens.

I know nothing about digital and will not voice an opinion about which camera to take. I have recent experience in various airports asking to have film and my M loaded with film hand-inspected and can report no significant additional time required and generally gracious compliance. I am told it doesn't matter, film slower than 800 will not fog but I am slow to accept such assurances. Happy flying and enjoy your time in Chicago.

If it matters: I have found the TSA people respond very well indeed to any kind of complement. "I really appreciate your hard work" almost got me a date with (what seemed) a moonlighting retired prison guard (but kind of cute for an old gal) at Austin, Texas last winter.

The Art Institute is right next to Millinium Park and Grant Park which both have great photo opportunities. The lake front in general is quite nice. The street photography opportunities are good too in the various ethnic neighboorhoods in particular...I like the Indian neighboorhood on Devon at night.....walking around the Loop area is great and of course Michigan Avenue (the big name shopping street. I always like shooting night photos at Navy Pier....there is a small number of amusement park rides. If you like garden type images, the Chicago Botanical Garden is quite nice as is Garfield Park Conservatory. Personally, I'd stick with the Leica, but either would be fine.

The Concerned Photographer exhibit is very cool I saw it a couple of weeks back. It was smaller than I thought but still very moving. If you have a car there I suggest getting a good Chicago Hot Dog at Superdawg which is at the corner of Devon and Milwaukee. Its a drive-in hot dog stand with Giant colorful hot dog characters on the roof, great photo op but also great food.

He has a show up as well at the MCA (museum of contemporary art). I would reccomend it, but know its not a best of, rather a rarities and b-sides kind of show.

As far as equipment, I'd take the 10d with the Zoom and load the mp into the bag with a roll just in case. But I normally travel with lots of cameras and a few articles of clothing rolled into my camera bag.

Priorities Michael :)

I was doing alright, breathing slowly, remaining calm, etc., with all this talk about my old hometown (that I miss terribly), and the photography exhibit, and then Andy had to come along and mention that phenomenal Chicago delicacy: the hot dog. <p>

There are so many good places for hot dogs. I'm embarrassed to admit how many of them I've patronized. Proper condiments include mustard, relish, pickle, tomato, celery salt, onions and peppers (your call), possibly sauerkraut (but not on mine). If you ask for ketchup, the 'proper' hot dog stand will squirt the ketchup at you :-) <p>

Sorry, Michael H., can't help you with cameras and lenses at the moment. I've got Chicago and hot dogs on my mind. <p>

But I'll say this much: walk around if you can. Walk around as much as you can. I believe Chicago is the friendliest of the big cities in the U.S. And it's a lively place -- not a New York lively, but its own lively. <p>

If you get some warm weather, consider a short hop for Italian lemonade at <a href=http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/3utNdX0rn1koKiPUk8_SBg?select=Oa8yIHxX4pFvoi5ary5GRQ>Mario's</a> on Taylor St. in the old neighborhood near the University of Illinois (UIC, that is). This is a bit southwest of downtown -- a short ride, not really a walk. <p>

Anybody and everybody will be out there on that sidewalk, waiting for a genuine treat: hunks of real fruit -- melon, lemons, peaches, etc. depending upon what's available -- in a frozen crushed drink. Buy one that contains real fruit, not just syrup. Drinking something that cold too fast is painful. I should know: I've done it so many times ...

Must sees in Chicago: Science and Industry Museum, University of Chicago campus (gothic), architecture in loop area, Wrigley building, top of Sears Tower or Hancock building. Also, Chicago pizza, German food, and steakhouses.

If architecture is an area of interest for you, consider a tour offered by the <a href=http://www.architecture.org/aboutcaf.html>Chicago Architecture Foundation</a>. <p>

Had a downtown walking tour years ago with CAF, and even though I lived there, I found it fascinating.

First of all, I would take the 10D. You will need the wide angle, and you will be taking lots of pics. For some great color photographs, take the red L down to China town. Also, the field museum is a must. Sue (the T-rex) is breathtaking. As a previous poster mentioned, Navy Pier is another great place to photograph, especially at night. One word of advice, if you are anywhere south of New Comiskey (aka US Cellular Field), watch your gear. At Old Comiskey, the parking lots had 15 foot fences with barbed wire for a reason lol. Also, the pizza and hot dogs in Chi town are a must! Oh, and another piece of advice, please don't ask a local where Sears tower is. I have had so many people ask me that question it isn't even funny. How hard is it to find the tallest building in the midwest?

"Superdawg which is at the corner of Devon and Milwaukee."

One of my haunts in high school. Now if I want a good dog I'd have to drive 30 miles into L.A. and pay a rip-off price. 8^(

Hancock has better views than Sears Tower. Architecture, the gallery district, Navy Pier, Museum of Contemporary Art. Any kind of food you want, incl. great pizza, Greek, Italian, and of course endles neuvo styles. The Loop L is a great place to shoot, but be cautious, not as safe as it was 30 years ago I'm told.

I'd take the Leica. Looks old and unimportant, unlike some DV camera.

<< ... <i>not as safe as it was 30 years ago I'm told </i> ... >> <p>

Probably *safer* than 30 yrs ago, when fewer people were downtown at night, in an era before before Printer's Row, River North, and several other areas near downtown even had residential populations, which they now have -- young and affluent populations, I might add.<p>

In any major city in the U.S. -- and most of the not-so-major ones, too, I'd say -- a level of basic alertness and some common sense are required. Chicago's no different. But I wouldn't worry about downtown Chicago. <p>

Not sure who your source is on the safety info, Bob B, and don't want to turn this into a crime statistics thread.<p>

Having said that, there are other more lively and interesting places that I'd suggest are probably preferable to the loop late at night, both for food and photo opportunities. <p>

And Bob B, I'm with you 100% on the longing for a good hot dog. :-)

Thanks everyone for the advice and well wishes! I've decided to take the 10D and zoom, and my old but faithful M4 with a 50/2.8 Elmar - and a Sekonic incident meter. The MP will sit this trip out on the DL (Don't Leave) list. Right now, I've got some Iford Delta 3200 loaded, but also am taking a few rolls of moderate speed black-and-white. The response about Grant Park being actively populated made me want to take some black-and-white film. Thanks again for responding.

Everyone who posted here is exactly what is right with this Forum! It ain't always perfect here, but I sure do enjoy it. Peace out!

Michael J Hoffman

• 2 weeks later...

Jerry Lehrer , jun 08, 2006; 12:48 p.m.

... But don't forget the Bratwursts!

Which you might pick up here (with sauerkraut and mustard, please).

(taken with a Retina IIa and Fuji 100 C-41 color print film), f 5.6, 1/50th sec.)