inexpensive great fast ultrawide lenses

neil_v.

For shooting modern dance with my XT in very close quarters, I'd like a fast (at

least f/2.8) rectilinear lens that is 20mm or wider, and approaching the image

quality of my 50/1.4.

Presently, I use a 17-85 at the wide end for the wide shots, which isn't fast

enough, and is otherwise only so-so optically.

The $1800 Canon 14/2.8L would be great, but it's 6 times my budget.

I'm open to a used manual focus lens with a mount adapter, as well as to a

really nice f/2.8 zoom that covers the focal length range 20mm-70mm (which would

let me trade-in several lenses).

The Sigma 20/f1.8 fits your described needs, and it costs about $400. The optical quality is very good, though perhaps not quite as good as the 50. It's big, and the autofocus is noisy and a little slow compared to EOS USM lenses.

I picked up my Sigma 20-40/2.8 (constant f2.8) from Cameta 2 months ago for $249-. Sharp enough, but it's not a 50/1.4.

The Sigma 17-70 is a 2.8-4.5, only f2.8 at the wide end, f3.2 @ 24mm, f4.5 @ 70mm.

Otherwise, there's a 17-50/2.8 from Canon, Sigma and Tamron. The Tamron seems the cheapest priced, less than 1/2 of the Canon. The Sigma's a couple hundred dollars more up here in Canada.

Don't expect too many lenses at all being as sharp as your 50/1.4. Even the best 14/2.8 would have a hard time with that comparison not to mention anything cheaper and anything in a zoom.

I like the idea of the Nikon 20/2.8 but wonder if it is still wide enough so I would also look at the Nikon 18mm lens, I think it is f4 though. You will have to ask yourself if you can manually focus well enough in your given situation. Good luck.

<p>I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that Canon has a lens of exactly the focal length you mention, and exactly the speed you say is a requirement. It has a bit of a mixed reputation; some say it's very good, others only mediocre, but as has been pointed out above, asking for the same optical quality in a lens that's on the borderline of being ultra-wide as you get from a normal prime is a pretty tall order.</p>

<p>Anyway, if you haven't already researched the 20/2.8, it might be worth a look to see if it fits your needs.</p>

<p>Or ... since you are open to a fast zoom in roughly the 20-70 range, which obviously blows your budget of $1800/6=300, what's your budget for that zoom, based on the assumption that some of it will be paid for by selling off the other lenses?</p>

If the photozone review of the new Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 SP Di II XR is accurate, I would say that this is a "no-brainer" with the understanding that few lenses will rival the 50 1.5. Alternatively, the 20mm Zuiko has a fabulous reputation and is said to be almost as good as the 20mm distagon. Either could be used with an adapter.

"inexpensive great fast ultrawide lenses" - if such things were readily available then there would be no market at all for expensive lenses! Just remember that in general "you get what you pay for"...

f/2.8 is fast enough with a digital camera that shoots great pictures at ISO 800-1600 like the XT.

I have the Canon 20 f/2.8 and love it, it is sharp and produces great contrasty images. Can't see the reason why some wouldn't like it. It is also well built like other intermediate Canon lenses.

Only thing to consider is that a 20mm becomes a 32mm on the XT and anyother APS-C sensor camera. This is wide but certainly not 20mm ultra-wide. How wide do you really neeed to go? If you are fine with around 30mm then the Canon 20 2.8 is the one I reccommend based on my own experience of owning and shooting with it for almost three years.

Sigma 24-70 or 28-70, both have an EX model constant-f/2.8. It's fast enough for most things and they're both good quality. I think the 28 retails for around $400 and the 24mm for around $600. That might be ebay price, though.

Adam,

Neil was looking ultrawide. 24 mm is not ultra, even on a f/f body. On his XT it's going to

weigh in at 38mm equivalent.

That illustrates the one major problem with the 1.6 crop bodies, ultrawide is almost

impossible. There's Canon's 10-22, and Sigma's 10-20 and 12-24, and that's about it.

How I'd love Canon to offer us a rectilinear lens with cropped equivalence to 20mm, say a

12mm f1.8. Dream on.