Night and filtration, artificial light and film

Interesting pictures. Thanks for bringing them to our attention. It looks as if the photographer may have used different filtration for different pictures. Some look as if they are tungsten balanced and some as if they may have been filtered for fluorescent (magenta skies are a hint of that). Whatever, it looks as if the photographer has chosen one of the light sources and filtered for it - or corrected for it later.

If neg film was used, it would be possible to make a lot of the corrections digitally, but in situations with very high contrast (ie a large range of scene brightness) it is definitely better to do most of the correction at the taking stage. That's the same whether you are shooting film or digital - in fact it is probably slightly more important for digital because of the slightly lower dynamic range. There is a connection between dynamic range and 'correctibility' via exposure.

I use a colour meter and carry CC10M and CC20M (magenta) filters along with both daylight and tungsten film. That way I can choose the combination that gets me close to how I want the finished image to look. Some people would use standard fluorescent correction filters, eg the FL-D, FL-W or whatever.

Best, Helen

Often these white light are green nor blue in real and you also have the HPS (high pressure sodium) that are orange and few mercury vapor that are green and some tungsten (orange) and also Metal Halide that seems to be more Blue than purple. Each light of the same type doesn't give the same color due to their life. A old one and a new one will not give the same color if talking about two HPS or two MV or two MH... And the Wattage too.. Few 250W, 400W, 1000W... This is almost impossible to get rid of all the colors... I use Tungsten film when I know I will go in the street and if i'm in the wood I just bring a bright yellow filter, using regular film, to correct the blue of the moon. If I'm in the sunset or sunrise I bring a orange filter and use regular film if I don't want the orange tint of the sun but the light that is nice at these hours. you can bring the kodak filter that correwct the Fluorescent (neon)... I don't remember the number! Good Luck!