Rumors...anyone seen anything about a new Nikon 70-300 w/ AF-S and VR?

scott_rushing

Hey guys...has anyone seen/heard any rumors about Nikon releasing a new

version of the 70-300 with AF-S and VR? I'm wanting badly to upgrade my 70-

300G to something faster with similar reach and VR but all the options either

weigh almost 4lbs or are slow or are way above my price range. Just curious.

Thanks

I've seen pictures but no annoucement. In any case the best VR telezooms are the 70-200 and 200-400, the latter of which is probably not in your price or weight range :-). But the 70-200 is only about 3 lbs AFAIK and it's a nice lens. Very versatile. Works with 1.4X TC to get the reach that you're talking about with a better max aperture. So consider getting those.

Scott--

I actually saw a picture of it which was apparently legit. It is in the works-- seems like someone said there was a pre-production glitch, so they delayed the actual debut, but it is supposedly definitely on the way. I think it was the same ap speed as the 70-300ED, but the VR would certainly improve odds on shots of stationary objects. I cannot recall a target price, but would guess about the sticker price for the 18-200. I appreciate your angst about the bulk and price of the 70/80-200's. For now, we are quite pleased with the 85 1.4 and 180 2.8 instead both previously loved mint for just over $1,000 together. Also have the 70-300ED which gets softer above 200. The VR and AF-S would surely add some weight and cost, but it will not be "pro glass" fast and bulky.

--craig in Ga.

"I'm wanting badly to upgrade my 70- 300G to something faster with similar reach and VR ..." -- Scott Rushing

Nothing "official" has ever been confirmed by Nikon, but photos (legit or not) of this rumored lens appeared on a Bulgarian website last year along with photos of the then rumored (but as yet unannounced) AF-S 105/2.8 VR Micro.

The 105/2.8 VR Micro did come to be, so perhaps the AF-S 70~300mm f/4-5.6G VR ED will as well (or was it f/4.5-5.6?). Or perhaps not ...

Nobody here knows for sure. Those that do know can't say, those that say don't really know. You'll just have to wait and see. ;-)

If it doesn't appear before year end, it probably isn't going to. If it does, it won't be faster (i.e. aperture) than your current 70~300G if the photos were legit. For more lens speed, the 70~200/2.8 VR is (and will likely be) the only option. Perhaps someday we might see a 70~200/4 (I bet that would make a lot of folks here happy), but I think it is highly unlikely we will ever see a 70~300/4.

Pictures (which looked very genuine) were on the Maxwell's (Australian Nikon distributors) site briefly at the time the 105/2.8 VR was announced. They were taken down after a couple of days. My guess is the lens is real and was to have been announced at the same time as the 105, but there has been some sort of production glitch.

I too saw that lens briefly on Maxwell's web site. That is why I feel that it is for real, some day. However, we still have no idea when it will be available, how good (or bad) it might be or how much it will cost. It is also remotely possible that Nikon runs into technical problems and decides not to introduce it for a long time.

I seem to recall that the new version (if true) will still be f5.6 at 300mm. Therefore, it is not necessarily faster. And if it is faster like f4, it'll be heavy and expensive.

• 2 months later...