center filter for 90mm SA XL?

geert_de_keyser1

i just bought myself a Schneider 90mm SA XL and I know I should just take a few

pics with the lens and then make up my own mind if I feel to need a center

filter for it yes or no, but I just want the two cents you guys have to offer.

Is the center filter going to make a big improvement? In what instances or

situations will I probably feel the need for one? Why don't they design the lens

with a center filter build in to it? I don't quite follow the logic of paying a

lot of money for a lens and then being told "hey, it so happens you need a sort

of filter for it to evenly distribute the light".

"In what instances or situations will I probably feel the need for one?"

Some people like the edge burn effect of a lens like the 90mm Super Angulon without a filter. If you like the effect and you constantly print full frame, you probably won't need the filter. If, on the other hand, you find yourself cropping from sections of images- like cropping a rectangular image to a square image, the light fall-off may look uneven and a center filter may be desireable.

"Why don't they design the lens with a center filter build in to it?"

Again, some people like the unfiltered look. Also, it would burden the lens an f/11 maximum apreture and adding the filter to the lens would add $560 to the $1,725 price of the lens.

I have a 90 mm f/6.8 Grandagon-N. For most landscape photography, I don't find a center filter really necessary, although it won't hurt. In some circumstances, particularly in architectural phtography and/or where a large rise or shift has been used, it can make a difference. This is more true for color photography than for b/w. In addition to the drop off of brightness towards the periphery, there may be subtle color shifts. I scan and without a filter, I can overexpose a bit and then correct in a photoeditor with a radial gradient, but it is easier to use a center filter.

You are more likely to find a center filter useful if you use transparency film, use bold movements, or use a larger format (e.g., 5x7). Probably the previous answers are assuming that you use 4x5. If so, I agree with Brian that few 4x5 photographers end up using a center filter with a 90 mm lens.

Why isn't it built into the lens? It would raise the price, and dim the image for composing and focusing.

With negative film, when feasible, my suggestion is to overexposure, so that the center gets extra exposure and the corners get sufficient exposure. Negative film has lots of exposure lattitude on the overexposure side.

There are many previous discussions of center filters in the archives, e.g., http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=006ENW, http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=005AC8, http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=003DPP, and http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=005gK2

I use the SA f/8 version with 4x5 and I find I don't need a center filter. So with the XL version I cannot imagine you'd need one if you're only shooting 4x5; 5x7...probably yes. I do find myself using a CF with my 75mm Nikon SW and color transparency films, mostly when shooting scenes with a lot of sky areas. Also, be careful when using a circular polarizer with wide angle lenses, like a 90mm or a 75mm, as it can create a false impression of light fall-off in the corners/edges.

I use the 72mm XL and even with max rise on my Sinar and transparencies I don't feel the need for the center filter. My old 90 SA 5.6 isn't as good in that respect. The fall off isn't terrible but the new XL lenses are much better. I would'nt imagine you will need one.

Geert,

A center filter is largely a matter of taste. You can tell instantly in some part of a

picture; especially one which includes sky, which runs the full length of the frame. Usually.

..... With a lens such as

the 90XL the image circle is so large you will most likely not be near the fall off area (if it's

a 4x5.) The lens will cover 5x7! Needing a center filter seems (for me) to be directly

related to the image circle. I have your lens, mounted on a Linhof Technar, the helical

focusing 4x5.,

and because I am right in the middle of such a huge circle, My pictures are uniformly

bright and even, With no center filter needed. On a 90 5.6 SA I use on a Master

Technika, I find a Center Filter useful for evenness of illumination.

I think the advice of try it first, ....and see if you feel the need ..... good advice. If you see

falloff, and it bothers you ... get a Center Filter. Go for the Schneider made one. You have a

Mercedes, use Mercedes parts.

cheers,

Rafael