Defective Leica M7

brad_herman1

I just (2-weeks ago) purchased a brand-new USA Leica M7 0.72 from an authorized

dealer in the US.

I just got around to putting the batteries in and threw in a test roll of color

negative film. Much to my surprise, several of the red LED segments in the

display are out. I tried new batteries, but the same thing. For example, if the

display is supposed to show 1000, it shows something like 1UCU. I can make out

what the number is supposed to be, but as stated, several segments are missing.

I called my dealer, but he is out of M7s. I was told at first to send it in to

Leica USA for repair, but I don't want to do that. I mean, do you blame me? A

$3,500.00 camera that's two weeks old should go in for service? I don't think so!

I have all the stuff as well as the blank Passport Warranty card. The dealer is

calling Leica USA on Tuesday morning to try to arrange for a replacement.

Any other ideas? Has anybody else encountered this? Should I accept a repair?

I'm not liking Leica's quality control right now.

The dealer should have your camera replaced if you haven't filled out any of the documentation. Anything else is unreasonable. When this sort of thing happens, I just switch out the item for another sample; if the item isn't in stock, but Leica USA has it, they should be able to get it for you in a very short amount of time.

Insist on a replacement. Two years ago, I purchased 2 MPs (Authorized USA Dealer)of which one was defective. The dealer did not have a replacement so I sent it into Leica. When I got the MP back rom Leica, the meter worked, but the top plate was scratched big time. I then had to send it back to Leica and insist on a new replacement which they accommodated. It took one month after I purchased the two cameras to get it squared away; a royal PITA. SO either get a full refund or insist on a new replacement. Leica will work with you; hopefully the dealer will.

FWIW, when I purchased my MPs, I posted on this forum that I was P.O.'d that I had to put up with this problem after having dropped some serious coin on the purchase. I got a lot of B.S. from forum members about me bitching about this; afterall the entire purchase was about $10K. I which I had the opportunity to visit with these people in person and convey my personal dissatisfation with them face to face; if you know what I mean.

Bottomline, get a new one or get your money back. Accept nothing less.

Brad,

Personally, and were it my M7 (which is just a few months old, an ex-demo model, and

which has certainly exhibited none of the symptoms you mention), I would accept nothing

other than a replacement or a refund. If it doesn't work as it should straight out of the

box, then that's what you are entitled to.

I hope you get it sorted out.

--alun

Daft or not, the questioner was NOT asking about his buying decision or the merits of film vs digital or Canon vs Leica. (Some people like expensive analogue watches despite being less accurate than a 25 dollar digital watch.)

This is the Leica forum. It is reasonable to expect a Leica M7 purchaser to be able to post here without people telling him to buy a Canon DSLR instead.

If the dealer is out of M7s then you will have to wait for him to get one in. Unavoidable. I agree that he should replace it. However I am basing this on UK retail practice and I am not sure how it works in the USA.

However, a complete Leica repair and service may just result in a camera that is more reliable in the long run than another M7 that has been sitting in a boxed untried for a couple of years. It will just take longer.

Make it clear to Leica USA (if you return it to them for repair) that for this price you dont want any more nasty 'suprises' and would they please give it a complete checkout/CLA as well as the repair. Also ask them to make the passport effective from the day they return the camera to you and not from the day of purchase.

Spending three grand on a film camera isn't any more "daft" than spending three grand on a digital camera that will soon have virtually no resale value. Cameras are material possessions: cost/benefit is purely subjective. The only "daft" purchase is one you end up regretting.

I would insist on the dealer swapping it for a new replacement camera.

I had to do this with a recent Canon lens that I purchased and was faulty.

If he refuses, send it to Leica under the passport warranty and inform the dealer that he

just lost all of you future business and that of your acquaintances.

A few years ago I purchased a R6.2, which froze up after the first roll. The R6.2 had just

been discontinued and it would have taken a while to find a replacement unit. I ended up

sending it to Leica under the passport warranty and they returned it in less than two

weeks. I've put more than a hundred rolls through it since without a hitch. This was a

calculated choice on my part, because I figured that whatever was going to fail, had just

failed and after Leica rebuilt the camera I would end up with a nicely vetted unit.

But your experience is a common trend among manufacturers. Apple (whom I love dearly)

is a perfect example of this. They have to be held at gun point to give you a replacement

machine and insist on fixing everything under warranty.

<i>The dealer is calling Leica USA on Tuesday morning to try to arrange for a

replacement.</i><br><br>I'm not sure what else the dealer is meant to do when he hasn't

got any other new M7s in stock. If it turns out that Leica USA are not very accommodating

why not just ask for a refund? You could always get another M7 elsewhere.

james copes "Spending three grand on a film camera isn't any more "daft" than spending three grand on a digital camera that will soon have virtually no resale value."

exactly. heck, i'm close to have already "lost" 3k in value on my D2x in 14 months or whatever its been.

Brad, i agree that it is annoying to find a defective product just out of the box. I bought a new USA 24/2.8 Elmarit ASPH some years ago that had some (small amount of) separation in the internal elements. However, Leica made good and sent me a completely new unit with new passport. Don't worry too much. They will make good on yours too.

Don't turn up your nose at a factory rebuild if it is offered at a distinct advantage. Many times they are likely to be more reliable than one just off the assembly line. Several years ago we had to replace a defunct window A/C and the dealer only had a factory reuild which he let us have at a handsome discount. Later we have had to buy other window units of the same brand and twice they have failed after a short use. The old factory rebuild is still pumping away and has given us no cause for concern. I have had similar experience with machine tools, particularly a Delta band saw. The rebuild is still sawing away whilt other brand new stuff has failed. Dont condemn Leica QC. Over sixty years I have had no problems with any Leica product. I suppose I am just lucky with Leicas because I had nothing but constant trouble with a Rolex watch. Finally went to a Timex which is still ticking! Oh, and I forgot to tell you about my Buddy's BMW. . . .

<I>The dealer is calling Leica USA on Tuesday morning to try to arrange for a

replacement.</I><P>

Perhaps posting this should have been delayed to Tuesday afternoon - and then only if there

was no satisfaction on a replacement?

www.citysnaps.net

Maybe I should just come right out and say it. For nearly 50 years I bought and used every new RF Leica from a IIIf to my M6 (as well as a huge number of used ones). I don't like the cameras that Solms has been making, the basic design is 50 years old (but re-engineered to cut costs, not to improve the performance), I think the're not up to Leitz manufacturing standards, and the prices are sinful. I cannot see any reason that they should still be in the photography business.

<p>Flames expected momentarily.

Bill, right on! And it has been just the last few years that Leica has gone completely insane: when it debuted in 2002, a new M7 was somewhere bewteen $2000 and $2400 (I'm sure there's Leicanuts who will recall this price with more accuracy than I). Only <i>four</i> years later (and with considerable improvments and price reductions with digital cameras) that same M7 camera is $3500. INSANITY.

Hey guys...I have no problem with the dealer. He'll do right by me. I'm just a bit surprised that a camera of such high quality (and price), was defective right out of the box. Maybe it was just bad luck?

The goal of this posting wasn't a 'rant', but just a sanity check to see if my demanding a replacement was justified. Brad