TC 1.7x for the 70-200VR or the Tamron 200-500mm

photos by kiem

I would much rather have the superb optics, and more useful range, of the 70-200 and add a 1.4x for when a little more reach is necessary. I do not know if the 1.7x degrades the image too much like a 2x or not. I don't mind using a 1.4x with exceptional glass. The Nikon also has VR which many regard highly and which may come in handy for your photography.

You will have to ask yourself if the 70-200 will do most of what you want with and without the converter. Perhaps you need much more reach that the Tamron offers.

What is it for? i can only think of sport and birding,if you consider the Tamron 200-500mm, which is what I'm considering too. There are some pretty good shots from the Tamron 200-500mm on photosig. I don't know much about it though. The other one is the sigma 50-500mm.

If you have the VR, start with TC. I held and tried out the 200-500 today. I couldn't tell much of the optics, but the build is sub-average for these types of lenses. Might be a good investment if you take good care of it, and don't care about the small aperture. It's a nice investment for the casual photographer that wants to do wildlife, but won't dish out multiple grands on a 400/2.8. Perhaps the 300 AFS is a better investment.

Your welcome but, don't forget that you get a 1.5 bump up on that focal length based on 35mm to digital giving you essentially 510mm. The only reason I mention this is that the 70-200 is a super piece of glass and has VR. Since you mention only "occasional" wildlife photos then why a longer lens?