Trading 70-200IS for 85 1.2L II?

allen_d.

So I'm thinking about selling my 70-200IS to purchase the new 85 1.2L Mark II.

I find that I'm using my 85 1.8 on the 5D way more than the 70-200 and lovin'

it. I could probably use the extra half (or is that quarter) stop plus that

pretty red stripe around the end of the lens!! I guess I'm starting to see

the light (excuse the pun) of you prime shooters. Anyone had a chance to

compare the 2 85 L's yet? Let me know if you think it's worth the extra $800

or so.

1.2 to 1.8 is 'pert near' a full stop (at least 1.26 to 1.78 is a full stop on the little reference site I have).

Can't speak to those Canon lenses (I'm a Nikon dude), but I'm always pleased to see somebody seriously considering the trades of primes that are faster than f/2.8 zooms. Zooms are nice and flexible, but there's something magical about those fast primes........

I love the 85/1.2 and would love to get the faster one. I am not sure I would get rid of the 70-200 IS however, I find that one too useful for long churches. If you can only have one, I would stick with the 70-200, but its personal preference.

I think Marc got the new one. I am waiting to hear what he/anyone thinks before dropping another 600+ on an upgrade.

I had a long play with one at a canon conference on Wednesday. I've never used the original but the focusing of the new one is not fast by any means. Considering its a prime almost the size of my 24-70L I'm not suprised though I can't imagine what the old one was like!

I've owned two 85 1.8's, this new lens knocked the pants of them for sharpness, too sharp for portraiture IMO and would need careful PP afterwards. I didn't shoot it wide open, TBH I don't trust my 5D for AF with that little DOF and there was a queue of people behind my waiting their turn with the lens and model!

Would I like one? Hell yes, can I afford one. Nope! ;-)

I just returned the 85f1.2L Canon just sent me to play with for a few weeks. It is a great

lens. A heavy lens, A sharp lens, It was great to shoot indoors with ambient light at 500th

of a sec at iso 100. It is a great all around portrait lens, especially on a camera with a

large sensor. It definatly was not a fast focuser. Compared to my 70-200 2.8 L IS it is a

slow focuser, but you don't really need a fast focusing lens for portraits.

Now if you ask me about trading a lens - Only you know your applications - These

are 2 different lenses designed for very different applications Figure out what you are

shooting, or where you are making the money, and decide accordingly. Or you can just

purchase a bigger bag to hold both lenses.

-Josh

• 2 weeks later...