AI lenses on D70 will stop-down metering work???

ptkeam

Hello,

Has anyone ever tried using STOP DOWN metering on a D70 with AI lenses??? That

is, depressing the depth of field preview button and adjusting shutter speed

and/or f-stop to meter manually???

I realize that there's no coupling between the lens & body but it seems that

this might work.

Just wondering. . . . . .

If you use AI lenses on the D70 or other consumer-grade Nikon DSLRs and you don't use an external meter, the best alternative is to estimate exposure to take a test shot and then use the histogram to fine tune your exposure. I frequently do that even with the latest matrix metering.

It's a shame that Nikon disabled this useful feature. It's understandable that they wanted to keep costs down (by omitting the AI meter coupling lever on the camera), but they could have allowed stopped down metering - and didn't.

Pentax also makes DSLRs with "feature-restricted" mounts, but their cameras work fine in metered manual mode using the depth of field preview. There's even a "pseudo-auto" mode where the AEL button stops the lens down, takes a reading and sets the speed, then opens again. Incidentally this feature was missing from the original Pentax *ist D, but the company added it in a firmware upgrade...

The Pentax's also do Aperture Priority with adaptor mounted lenses (Screwmount, 67 and 645 lenses) but sadly not with K/M lenses.

This feature along with HyperProgram (shifting aperture or shutter drops you from program to Aperture or Shutter Priority modes) are the two things I truly miss from my *istD.

<i>It's a shame that Nikon disabled this useful feature. It's understandable that they wanted to keep costs down (by omitting the AI meter coupling lever on the camera), but they could have allowed stopped down metering - and didn't. </i><p><p>True, but they did on the D200. Perhaps they'll build this feature into some of their future consumer-grade cameras (crosses fingers furiously).