photo.net critique of Great Photographers

tim_atherton9

Very good stuff!

Reminds me of an Issac Asimov story about William Shakespeare being brought into the 20th century via time travel, and for fun taking a class on Shakespeare at a community college.

He returns to his own time depressed because he failed the course.

It should be a nice sunset with reddish sky and a little PH that would probobly make it to the Master of photography isn't it? I think I'm gonna throw my camera away! I fight against photoshop electronic artist's and all those boys and girls with mobile phones in their camera! Based on no feelings, no soul and no knowledge! I made some images to show the easy way out or in for those....! You know what? That was my most wanted photo on my site with brilliant critics. took me less than a half an hour (not even that) to make it! Read the text which I got writen to this and looked a photo. You must understand that I beleive that people doesn't understand one word I wrote there and why! :-):-)So what do you expect? I did this just to show that anybody can do that!

http://www.fotosidan.se/gallery/view.htm?ID=112619

Tim, a few years ago Mike Johnston spent a whole column in the rag he was writing (Darkroom Techniques?), dissing what was generally considered a superb Paul Strand exhibit (National Gallery?). Much as I daily enjoy his blog, this is a case of pot calling kettle black. That doesn't make it any less funny, though.

I have a theory (gee, that oughta stir some flames up) that everyone, at sometime in their life/career/hobby, shoots crap. It may be early on, when they're still learning the art, or it may be later when they're having a bad day, not enough coffee, girlfriend/boyfriend problems, etcetera and so on. But we all occasionally shoot crap. Then, if you're lucky, you get major recognition and you've hit the big time - fame and fortune, oh yeah! The public, publishers and galleries suddenly want to see more, more, more until the good stuff you've done is all out there. The demand has now outpaced your ability to produce. So, guess what suddenly starts showing up in the public eye? That's right....The Crap. Maybe it's more likely to happen if you retire or die (a tragic, untimely death is preferable). But I think we've all seen it. You're standing in a gallery in front of a print, and somewhere in the back of your mind is this tiny "Huh?", which is immediately suppressed by "It can't be bad, it's an HCB". At this point, critical judgement of a photo has been replaced by adoration of the iconic photographer. Welcome to the wonderful world of art.

It's not a phenomenon restricted to photography. It's also true of painters, writers and poets, once they reach a certain level of fame. I recently read an anthology of William Faulkner short stories ("The Collected Works of William Faulkner") which has some good stuff, but also some of the worst I've ever read by any author. The crap phenomenon in action. Don't even get me started on Walt Whitman.

OK, I will now sit back and00 await the return volleys.