what happens when?

hi there,

what happens when you process colour slide film with b&w developer??. you'll

prob say try it and see!. prob nothing will happen and maybe i have made myself

look stupid!!!?

regards,

brett

Try something funny if you want to pull out a color neg using b+w dev in the process... push your film 2 or 3 stops when shooting it and dev with a paper dev first and then use c-41 Fix and after wash and use c-41 bleach. and wash. From now your neg is a b+w film w/ dense base. Then process it in reglar c-41 process. Between those steps, keep totally wet or totally dry the film... Look a the astonishing results!!! For the times, make strip tests!

Dear Brett,

The first developer in E6 IS a black and white developer. The second developer (in a 3-bath) chemically fogs what the first dev hasn't developed, then develops it along with a dye image. The bleach/fix removes the silver from both images (1st and 2nd dev) leaving only the dye image from the second dev.

What you'll get, therefore, is a B+W neg (WITHOUT an orange mask -- slide films don't have orange masks) but I wouldn't hold out much hope for the tonality and the ISO will almost certainly be different from the colour film ISO.

Let us know how it works...

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com -- where you might find the Glossary in The Photo School to be useful. Or you might not.)

hiya,

thanks Roger, i will give it a go (with one film) and see what happens?.Thats what i like about film, its all trial and error and you sometimes get great results, but sometimes poor - thats life!

cheers,

brett

• 4 weeks later...