Is a blower bulb sufficient for sensor cleaning?

jim_d5

I am about to order my 30D and noticed they had a Visible Dust Hurricane Blower

in the accessories list. I figure I will have to clean my sensor every now and

then.

Is this all I should get with it, is this a good blower for cleaning sensors?

I think I would be VERY uncomfortable with touching the sensor with ANYTHING

except air. But some of you mention gunk, now how can gunk make its way onto a

sensor that sits behind shutter curtains 99% of the time? I mean it seems to me

any type of dust that falls onto the sensor could be blown away, right?

Frankly it sort of freaks me out that something could stick to the sensor for

good and I would have to touch it to get it off.

It's entirely possible that the sensor in your brand new 30D will need cleaning right out of the box!

A bulb blower *may* be able to blow the dust or debris off the sensor, then again, it may not. I have a bulb blower (actually, a large ear syringe), but no experience with the model you named.

Static charge may hold the dust to the sensor, and it'll require more rigorous cleaning. Check out the following highly explanatory and well illustrated site regarding sensor cleaning:

http://www.pbase.com/image/15473243

Learning how to clean your sensor (and gathering up the courage to do it the first time) is something of a rite of passage into the world of shooting with dSLRs. Once you get through the first few cleanings, it becomes routine and no big deal. If you buy the right materials and follow the instructions closely, the risk of damaging your sensor (actually, the glass filter that covers it) is low.

Good luck!

I bought that blower. It's nothing special. It works, but I'm sure no better than any other. The only thing the "double valve" does it to allow air to be sucked in through the back as well when you release it. That simply allows it to release faster. Trouble is, if it fails, it blows air out the back as well. Save your $5 and buy something cheaper.

The blower solved almost all my problems, but there were a few stubborn little specks I wanted to get off. (I'm not so anal-retentive as to need it perfect).

I _did_ buy the little "Speckgrabber" (or "spec grabber" - check spelling first). It's about $2.99. It does work very very well; dab it on the spec and it will take it off. But... you've got to be able to see the speck to do it. My ability to focus that close it not as good as it used to be.

Also, the package of 100 sterile swabs (the polyester ones) are really useful.

Judging by how the sensor appears to be inset into a frame of some sort, I wouldn't use any liquid whatsoever.

In my experience a blower will not, by itself, be sufficient. There are times when it may be

enough, but you are likely to need something else on those occasions when the dust

bunnies are thick and clingy.

I use the Eclipse Fluid, PedPad combination.

By the way, keep in mind that you are not actually touching the sensor. You are touching

the glass (?) layer than covers it.

Dan

I found a pricey but very effective solution here:

http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/Sensor_Swabs.html

I actually live close to the filter connection store so I went in looking for a filter (an ND filter, thats another post entirely ;) Anyhow, I saw the display for these and had to ask. The store owner told me about the product and the guy that makes them and raved. I was in the market for these because I had a huge piece of dust on my cmos, I was out in the field so I took a breath and blew to get it out. Well, the dust went out and was replaced by a speck of spittle that left a residue that I couldn't clean off!

I parted with the cash and I can honestly say I have NO regrets! I have had great success with them. Now that doesn't mean that wiping these across the cmos doesn't feel any less like brain surgery, but the product worked great and 'feels' like the right tool for the job.

At some point in time you will need 3 diferent cleaning methods:

<p>

- Blower

<p>

- SpeckGrabber or Brush (for when the blower doesn't do the job)

<p>

- Liquid Cleaning (when both the above don't do the job)

<p>

Everything you will ever need can be found here:

<p>

<a href="http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=products">http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=products</a>

I just posted this elsewhere and thought it might be relevant:

-----

I am doing studio product shots tonight with my 5D - white background, small aperture, and hence, gazillions of dust bunnies.

Thus forced by necessity, I just cleaned my 5D sensor for the first time. This is after I cleaned my 20D sensor with great regularity, without any problems.

I am disappointed that it took me an hour or more. I first tried blowing, with a proper blower (no compressed air), as recommended by Canon. As expected: more dust, not less.

So no porblem, I got out the vacuum-packed sensor cleaning tabs with the special liquid, same as I have used on the 20D. The very same, and yes they were new tabs, unused and unopened, and yes I used the very same bottles of special liquid.

But instead of clean, my 5D sensor got dirty. Streaks and droplets of liquid, and big shadowy things all over at the end. I had to use up all my tabs and it's still not perfect. Better, and I am out of tabs, so I am not touching it again. That 24-70 f/2.8L stays on there!

Do any of you have the same experience? I am surprised and disappointed, I cleaned the 20D monthly and never had any problems.

I have used a couple of blowing methods to no avail so I went to copperhillimages and bought their cleaning kit. It had the brush, battery operated blower, pec pads and eclipes cleaning fluid. So far i have only had to use the "Sensor Sweep II" brush(knock on wood). The brush has worked like a charm removing all dust from the sensor leaving black spec free photos. The first couple of times is a little nerve racking but after that it gets pretty routine. Like someone said before, cleaning the sensor is a fact of life with dslr's especially when you change lense fequently. There are other companies that sell similar cleaning equipment but copperhill had a very good rating all over google and they were the cheapest. Hope this helps and and know that there are many others out there who clean their sensors on a regular basis, just be careful and follow the instructions and everything should be ok. Cheers

I have less experience than others who've responded, but you may still benefit from my two cents:

1. Bulb blower. Online reviewers give this a thumb down, but this worked pretty well for me, for minor stuff. The advantage, of course, is that the sensor/glass cover aren't touched.

Can't hurt to give it a try. Bulb blowers are cheap. I intend to try this Canon-recommended method first, from now on.

2. Arctic Butterfly. The docs warn: "Do not use on camera chamber or parts other than sensor, otherwise you will smear the sensor."

I guess I managed to touch the fine strands of the brush on something I shouldn't have, because I did smear the sensor, creating a nice mess.

3. Sensor Swabs and Eclipse fluid, from photosol.com The 5D takes a Type 3 sensor swab, tailor made for the full frame sensor.

This worked quite well, and left no residue -- but I still have a smidgen of smearing in one corner of the sensor, the aftermath of the session with the Arctic Butterfly.

Just one user's experiences, yours to consider or ignore, as you see fit.

Well, thanks all, I see yours, Rhaytana, to be particularly helpful as you actually pointed out what not to do. I think I will get the Rocket Blower Bulb the Sensor Sweep II as I only hear good things about those. The only thing that makes me nervous is I once tried to clean my EOS-3's focusing screen with nothing but an optical brush only to end up with a big scratch right down the middle!

Anybody *scratched* their sensor (the glass filter that sits in front of it)? Is that a concern, could you scratch it with any of the above mentioned brushes?